“Tardiness is not something you can do on your own… and last but not least, [I’d like to thank] the wonderful crew from McDonalds who spend hours making those egg McMuffins without which I might never be tardy.”
Well, regardless of the movie quote, who doesn’t love an egg McMuffin? I mean, it seems like the perfect balance of morning breakfast-ness. But when you look more closely at the ingredients, you may shudder a bit.
For instance, here’s the ingredients for the egg alone (per their website): Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).
What the what? It’s an egg. Cook it and put it in my egg McMuffin, right?
Have no fear, I’ve got a 5-minute version that will fix you right up. Seriously, 5 minutes and you are in egg McMuffin heaven. You can’t get to a drive-through that fast.
My ramekin egg trick also makes the egg the perfect size for an English muffin. Every bite has every ingredient, just as it should. Such deliciousness.
Here’s how you do it. Enjoy!
5-minute homemade egg McMuffin
A delicious homemade copycat egg McMuffin recipe in under 5 minutes!
- 1 whole wheat English muffin
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of Canadian bacon
- cheese (optional and any kind you like: cheddar, provolone, Monterey Jack, American)
- Toast your English muffin.
- Meanwhile, coat a ramekin with cooking spray and crack your egg into it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and scramble it up. Put the ramekin in the microwave and microwave for 40-55 seconds. Start with 40 and see if your egg is cooked and not too jiggly. Add another 5 seconds at a time if you need it cooked a bit more.
- While the egg is in the microwave, heat a small pan on high heat to warm up your Canadian bacon and get those nice browned marks. I don’t put anything in the pan - just the slice. It takes about 30-45 seconds, flipping once.
- Remove the cooked egg from microwave and top with cheese (to help it melt), if using.
- Assemble your sandwich: I go with bottom half of English muffin, Canadian bacon, egg topped with cheese, top of English muffin.
- Get ready for a breakfast happy dance!
Try these ideas for variations:
* Add tabasco sauce to your egg before or after it cooks.
* Put some spinach on your sandwich for a little green.
* Add a slice of tomato or some avocado slices to the sandwich.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 227kcal Calories from fat 56|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|