Bacon rice with corn is a one-pot summer side dish favorite that can be enjoyed year-round. Add your favorite toppings and dig in!
Have you guys been watching all the Olympics?! We have paused our binge of Orange is the New Black (we’re in the middle of season two and I’m obsessed) to tune in. The swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball, I love it all!
Speaking of the beach… we snuck away last night for a weekend in Charleston, S.C. I’m working from the condo this morning and hoping to wrap up my deadlines early and go play in the sun with the kiddos later this afternoon!
We’re definitely trying to squeeze every last drop out of our summer.
And sometimes, that means adding corn and bacon to everything. 😂 (Just see my cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad.)
This little trend is especially funny for someone like me, who doesn’t actually eat bacon.
My husband does. Almost every weekend. I fry him up some bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast, usually on Saturday. Sometimes Sunday, too. 😉
But I don’t ever eat bacon on its own.
I just love using it to flavor foods or as a topping, such as my sweet potato, roasted chick peas, kale and bacon bowls, my healthier 7-layer salad and my roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and red onion, aka, the only way my husband will eat Brussels sprouts.
I think it’s a Southern thing.
Not that Southerns don’t like to eat their bacon all on its own. Oh, we do. But historically, Southerns didn’t make meat the focus of the meal. They just used bits of bacon, pork fat and other trimmings to add flavor and fat to their vegetables and other dishes. Helped stretch a tight budget.
Anyway, we’re celebrating all the bacon love and the fresh summer corn love with this easy one-pot corn and bacon rice recipe today.
The depth of the smoky, bacon flavor throughout this dish is just phenomenal. The onion sautes in the bacon fat, the rice gets coated in it before cooking and then the crispy, crumbled bacon pieces are served right on top.
Bacon, bacon everywhere!
Here’s a few notes on this bacon rice with corn:
- It helps to cut the bacon in half to fit more pieces in your pan. It also helps the bacon cook more evenly. I usually can only get 3 pieces to fit, but add 4 if you can.
- Let your bacon brown up well on both sides. You can turn it a few times to make sure it all crisps up without burning.
- I always use brown rice (we’re a whole grains kinda family). If you want to substitute white rice, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time and check the rice after 15-20 minutes.
- You can use fresh or frozen corn. If frozen, just thaw it a bit under running water before adding it to the pot.
- If you want to go really hog wild (ha, couldn’t help myself) on the smoky flavor, you could use smoked paprika here.
- The toppings are optional but highly recommended. Love me some toppings!
This brown rice with corn and bacon would go great with a burger (especially the spicy-sweet combo of my spicy pork burgers with mango salsa) or some grilled chicken or fish.
Add a steamed vegetable or a simple salad and you’ve got a delicious dinner ready to go!
Enjoy, and happy weekend!