Healthy sausage balls use turkey sausage, skim milk and whole wheat flour for a lightened up version of this breakfast favorite! (They’re also great for Christmas brunch and game day eats!)
Thank you to Rubbermaid TakeAlongs® for sponsoring this post. (ad)
Happy hump day everyone! I hope you’re having a good week so far.
M has TWO days off of kindergarten this week. Teacher work day and Veterans Day. Fortunately, my mom is around and taking her to do some fun things during the day so she doesn’t have to sit and watch me work on my deadlines for my day job as a health and nutrition editor. Nanna to the rescue!
I’m also hoping my mom and I can finalize our Thanksgiving menu (I’ll be consulting my round-up of 45 Thanksgiving sides for sure) and I’m trying to find some extra time this week to do some last bits of yard work before the winter weather arrives.
Just need a few more hours in the day 😉 I’m sure you feel me on that one!
Now let’s talk about these healthy sausage balls.
They are pretty much the ultimate breakfast and brunch party bite, especially at the holidays. You’ve got a cheddar cheese-loaded biscuit that’s studded with chunks of turkey sausage for a meaty, cheesy, biscuit ball that is seriously addictive.
You won’t need to call everyone over when these babies come out of the oven, either. They smell so good that your friends and family will be hovering nearby, eagerly awaiting the chance to scoop one up.
Though somehow, when we have people over, everyone always ends up hanging out in the kitchen anyway. Closer to the food maybe. And the drinks 😉
But gathering loved ones together and sharing some of our favorite eats while we get to chat and catch up? That’s what the holidays are all about for me. It doesn’t get better than that!
And we’ve already got lots of parties to go to on the calendar. So if you’re like me and often heading to a friend’s house for a get together, these sausage biscuit bites travel well. And travel in a little holiday style with Rubbermaid TakeAlongs® containers. I love the little tag line: Take Your Traditions To-Go. Yes!
I’m always carrying appetizers and cookies and whatnot to friends and neighbors at the holidays — from potlucks and tailgating to Thanksgiving and Christmas parties — so these travel totes will be put to good use. Especially because they can hold so much! They’re also durable, BPA-free and safe for the microwave, dishwasher and freezer.
These limited-time only holiday TakeAlongs come in red and green, can be stacked on each other for carrying or inside each other for storing. And since you get two, you can always leave one with your friend as a little thank-you hostess gift. 😊
You can find these Rubbermaid holiday containers at your local Target store or on the Target website.
A few notes on making these healthy sausage balls:
- You can substitute regular all-purpose flour if you like.
- I prefer hot Italian turkey sausage, but mild is great for a group setting if you’re not sure everyone wants it spicy. You can also substitute regular sausage, just be sure to drain any extra fat after it’s cooked.
- The sausage for these balls needs to be cooked. To do that, add your raw sausage to a large skillet over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks so it’s in small crumbles.
- These are best warm from the oven, but they’re still delicious as they cool down, so it’s perfect for leaving out at a party.
- If you’re making these ahead to take to a friend’s house in your cute Rubbermaid containers, bake them for just 12 minutes and then pack them up. When you arrive, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil and cover the tops with foil, so they’re all wrapped up. Rewarm them in the oven on low — about 250 degrees – for 10 minutes or so and then serve.
- If you have any leftovers, these healthy sausage balls freeze great! Just defrost in the refrigerator and warm up in the microwave.
Cheers to the holiday season and to making new memories and new traditions with friends and family.
Healthy sausage biscuit balls
A lightened up version of the favorite breakfast or game day snack!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. Italian turkey sausage (hot or mild), cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat, for easy clean-up.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the flour mixture, until it resembles small peas.
Add milk and stir just until combined.
Add the cheese and sausage and mix well. The batter will be dense, so use your hands if you need to.
Roll the mixture into small balls - about 1 inch in diameter - and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
You can substitute regular all-purpose flour if you like.
I prefer hot Italian turkey sausage, but mild is great for a group setting. You can also substitute regular sausage, just be sure to drain any extra fat after it’s cooked.
The sausage for these balls needs to be cooked. To do that, add your raw sausage to a large skillet over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks so it’s in small crumbles.
If you have any leftovers, they freeze great! Just defrost in the refrigerator and warm up in the microwave.