A 30-minute one-pot Italian chicken skillet with chickpeas, tomatoes and peppers – makes a great weeknight dinner!
I’ve been making this simple Italian chicken skillet dinner since back when we lived in a small one-bedroom apartment in Washington, D.C., which is where I met my husband.
We were introduced on a Friday night by one of my brand-new roommates, one week after I’d moved to the city in September. I hadn’t even started my first job yet (that would come the following Monday).
He likes to say he “got me off the boat.” I was a bright-eyed new college graduate, excited to be living in the capital and just getting to know my way around. And here comes this cute guy in the bar, who later bought us drinks to celebrate my roommate’s boyfriend’s birthday, and apparently, to saddle up next to me.
Fast-forward 11 years and here we are, living in North Carolina with two kids, a chocolate lab and a whole house. No shared walls, no hiking up and down the stairs to do laundry, no looking for parking, no hauling groceries through a lobby and down a 500-foot hallway.
We lived at the very end of the building, overlooking the park. It was wonderful except when we’d have done a grocery or Target run and my hands ached from trying to get all the bags in one trip because there was no way in hell I was going all the way back down and outside to the parking area or up the street to get the rest.
Bigger kitchen, but still making some of the same dishes. Like this Italian chicken dinner, adapted from Cooking Light. It’s easy, flavorful and gives me big Italian flavors with light and healthy ingredients that don’t weigh me down. (Sorry pasta and cream sauce, but I’m looking at you.)
It’s also a one-pot, 30-minute meal, which makes it great for busy weeknights. And since we do a “I cook, you clean” arrangement, I’m pretty sure the one-pan quality is part of the reason my husband has always loved this dish so much!
This meal is budget-friendly, too, which was much needed for a recent college graduate trying to make rent in D.C., with a little left over for happy hour. 😉 And even now, I love that this Italian chicken skillet features simple ingredients that I almost always have on hand. #winning
Whether you’re just starting out or are happily settled, I hope you gives this quick and easy dinner a try and make it part of your regular rotation. Paired with wine, of course.
Italian chicken skillet with chickpeas, tomatoes and peppers
This 30-minute one-pot Italian chicken skillet makes a great weeknight dinner!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into long strips, seasoned with salt, pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups homemade crock pot chickpeas)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil)
- Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add seasoned chicken breast strips to the middle of the pan. Brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, oregano and dried basil, if using. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot (sprinkle with fresh basil, if using) and pass Parmesan cheese at the table.
Recipe NotesLeftovers are great reheated for lunch the next day!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 245 Calories from fat 182|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20||31%|
|Saturated Fat 2||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 9||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|