Sometimes we need a little help. A little ace in the hole to make dinner easy and fast.
Sure, I do mostly homemade and I plan ahead my family’s meals, but I like a shortcut as much as the next person. It’s almost reassuring, isn’t it, to have something in your fridge or freezer that makes dinner a breeze?
This is one of my favorite healthy go-to shortcuts. The ingredient list is manageable and it covers my starch/grain and my veggies all in one. (And if you’re on top of things and have extra rice/barley/quinoa in your freezer like I try to do, then you can make this yourself. Mix the grains and any veggies in a skillet and it’s ready to go. I’ve done that too. But I always have a bag of this on hand to be safe.)
Of course, it’s not enough veggies for me, so I like to bulk it up. Here, I added a half bunch of asparagus and some frozen peas. You also could use zucchini, peppers, corn or even small bits of broccoli or cauliflower. It’s a clean out the veggie bin sort-of dinner, as well as a shortcut.
It works as a vegetarian entree (only serving 2 probably) but also makes the perfect side to any type of grilled, sauteed or roasted protein – fish, chicken, steak, pork. Or pair it with some rotisserie chicken from the store. Shortcut heaven. But still healthy, wholesome, real foods for your family. Score!
And it makes for a dinner you don’t have to think about. Sometimes that just hits the spot. (As do the leftovers for lunch the next day.)
Pull this out the next time you need a quick fix!
Shortcut grains and veggies
A super easy, but wholesome, shortcut side for dinner on a busy weeknight!
- 1 16 oz. bag Trader Joe's frozen Multigrain Blend with Vegetables
- 1-2 cups extra veggies (see notes, below)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add any fresh, raw veggies you are using and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Once slightly tender, add the frozen Trader Joe's mix and any other frozen veggies you are using.
- Stir until heated through, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. You can also sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese, if desired.