Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/bourbon-bacon-jam/
© 2017 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved. 8 people adjust servings
Bourbon bacon jam is a salty-sweet spread with big bacon flavor that’s perfect for an appetizer, on burgers or with salad dressings!
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon cut in half
- 1 large sweet onion finely diced
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Working in batches, cook the bacon in a large pan over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon to paper towels to absorb the extra grease and drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add onions and shallot. Sauté until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then cook over medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble the reserved bacon (or chop it) and add to the pan. I like to reserve a couple of tablespoons of bacon pieces for serving, but that’s not necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook another 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is syrupy and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you want your bacon jam to be smoother, you can transfer the cooled mixture to a food processor and pulse it until it’s more combined. I happen to like the bigger bacon chunks in mine.
Bacon jam will keep stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 333kcal Calories from fat 203|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 23g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|