Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/cajun-chicken-with-stewed-okra-and-tomatoes/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Cajun chicken with stewed okra and tomatoes
4 servings adjust servings
A New Orleans-inspired supper you can savor at home!
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1-2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic)
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into small chunks and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups okra, ends removed and chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (homemade or store bought)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (less if your Cajun seasoning is store bought)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to serve (optional). We prefer the Louisiana brand called Crystal.
- Cook the brown rice.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add chicken to the middle of the pan and cook until slightly browned on both sides, about 3 minutes each.
- Add okra, diced tomatoes with the juices, seasonings, bay leaf, chicken broth and 2 tablespoons of the red wine vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, then taste and adjust seasonings.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over perfect brown rice. Top with hot sauce, if desired.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 352kcal Calories from fat 56|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 6g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|