Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/curried-brown-rice-salad/
© 2016 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved. 4 servings adjust servings
An easy one-pot cold curried brown rice salad with bright citrus notes and raisins, nuts and cilantro folded in.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (you can sub chicken broth or water)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice (I like both ways!)
- extra kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup raisins (regular or golden)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (see notes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or sub parsley)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent and tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add curry powder and ground cumin to pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. This helps “bloom” the spices, or bring out their flavor.
- Add the brown rice and stir to coat with curry powder and oils. Add chicken or vegetable broth, salt and pepper and cayenne pepper (if using). Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 30-35 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon or lime juice and remaining one tablespoon olive oil. Let the rice cool slightly then refrigerate until completely cool, about an hour.
- When ready to serve, fluff the rice then stir in raisins, cilantro or parsley and nuts. Taste and adjust seasonings: sometimes I add a little extra lemon or lime juice, salt or pepper.
I usually use chopped walnuts or peanuts here because it’s what I always have on hand. Slivered almonds or chopped cashews would also be great!
This curried rice is best served cold, so please plan accordingly!
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 361kcal Calories from fat 130|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 14g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|