Posted by Kathrynhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/fiesta-black-bean-burgers-with-spiced-yogurt-sauce/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Fiesta black bean burgers with spiced yogurt sauce
8 burgers adjust servings
A delicious black bean burger, sent over the top with an easy yogurt sauce!
- 1 bell pepper, diced small (you can use any color)
- 1 small onion, diced small (about 1 cup total)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (and deseeded for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained and lightly mashed
- 1/2 15 oz can refried beans
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, ground into flour (you can do this in the food processor)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or cayenne for a bit of heat)
- Whole wheat burger buns or lettuce for wraps - delicious both ways!
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, pickled jalapenos - you name it!
To cook burgers
Spiced yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (homemade, preferably)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Prepare ingredients: cook quinoa, grind oats, chop veggies.
- Saute the pepper, onion and jalapeno in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and saute one minute more.
- Mix veggies and remaining ingredients and season to taste. (No eggs needed so you can actually taste it and then adjust the seasonings.)
- Form the mixture into 8 burger patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and hot.
- For the yogurt sauce: Mix yogurt, taco seasoning and lime juice together.
- Place burgers on buns or on lettuce. Dollop with yogurt sauce (save some for the sweet potato fries!) and top with any another other desired toppings. Dive in face first!
To make sweet potato fries: Scrub and peel your sweet potatoes (about 1/2-1 per person). Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges. Season with olive oil, seasoned salt and pepper. Roast at 425 for 25-30 minutes, turning after 15-20 minutes. Dip in the spiced yogurt sauce and devour!
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 217kcal Calories from fat 49|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|