Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/healthy-blueberry-cake/
© 2016 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved. 12 adjust servings
A luscious, yet healthy, blueberry cake with an easy lemon glaze!
For the blueberry cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 2 cups oats (I use old fashioned)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt (low-fat or fat-free)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (slightly less than a pint)
For the lemon glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease a 9-inch round springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the yogurt, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest and juice. Stir well to combine, breaking up any lumps from the yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and transfer to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon glaze, if using. Add powdered sugar to a small bowl and add the lemon juice, starting with just 2 teaspoons. Add an extra teaspoon as needed, stirring constantly, until you get a good drizzling consistency.
- Once the cake is cooled, drizzle it with the lemon glaze. (And top with chocolate sauce, if desired - see notes below.)
Store the cake, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days. After two days, this cake is best kept refrigerated.
I used this chocolate sauce recipe from One Good Thing by Jillee. (Her recipe makes a TON. You won’t need more than 1/2 and even that will leave you with extra.)
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 328kcal Calories from fat 41|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|