Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/italian-chicken-skillet-with-chickpeas-tomatoes-and-peppers/
© 2016 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Italian chicken skillet with chickpeas, tomatoes and peppers
3-4 servings adjust servings
This 30-minute one-pot Italian chicken skillet makes a great weeknight dinner!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into long strips, seasoned with salt, pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups homemade crock pot chickpeas)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil)
- Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add seasoned chicken breast strips to the middle of the pan. Brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, oregano and dried basil, if using. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot (sprinkle with fresh basil, if using) and pass Parmesan cheese at the table.
Leftovers are great reheated for lunch the next day!
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 297kcal Calories from fat 69|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|