Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/lemony-orzo-chicken-salad/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Lemony orzo chicken salad
4-6 servings adjust servings
Lemony orzo salad with rotisserie chicken, tomatoes, zucchini and crumbled goat cheese is an easy 15-minute dinner!
- 1 lb. orzo pasta (whole wheat preferably)
- 2 zucchini, diced small
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 cups diced leftover cooked or rotisserie chicken
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Cook the orzo according to package directions.
- Chop the zucchini and place it in a large bowl. Once the orzo is ready, drain it and add it on top of the zucchini (which helps soften the raw zucchini just slightly). Add the zest and juice of the lemon on top of the hot orzo (the heat enhances the flavor and smell).
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Add the goat cheese and stir to combine, being careful not to break it up too much.
- You can add in some reserved cooking liquid if needed to help all the ingredients meld together.
- Serve and enjoy! Leftovers are great cold, too.
If you don’t have any leftover or rotisserie chicken, you can sprinkle 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper, paprika and a little garlic powder then bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then slice and dice and it’s ready to go.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 803kcal Calories from fat 266|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 30g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|