Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/quinoa-and-squash-ribbon-salad/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Quinoa and squash ribbon salad
4 servings for lunch or as a side, 2-3 servings as a vegetarian dinner adjust servings
Quinoa and squash ribbon salad makes a perfect lunch, side dish or vegetarian main!
For the salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium squash, ends trimmed
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
For the lemony-mustard vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grain mustard
- pinch of sugar
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. (I wash mine, add it to a pot with the water, bring it to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low for 12-15 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Then I remove it from the heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, make squash and zucchini ribbons. Use your vegetable peeler to peel long strands. (I discard the ones that have lots of the peel and use mainly the inside ones.) Peel each zucchini and squash to get as many ribbons as you can before you get to the inner seeds of the vegetable.
- Next, lightly toast the walnuts. Just put them in a small, dry pan over medium-low heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. Watch closely and keep stirring them so they don’t burn. Remove and roughly chop.
- For the vinaigrette, add all of the ingredients to a small jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake until well mixed.
- To serve, mix the quinoa with the zucchini and squash ribbons and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 408kcal Calories from fat 172|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|