Posted by Kathrynhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/seared-romaine-cheater-ceasars-dressing/
© 2016 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Seared romaine with cheater Ceasar’s dressing
4 servings adjust servings
Seared romaine leaves have such great flavor and are paired here with a simple Caesar salad dressing.
For the romaine salad
- 2 large heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Caesar dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2-3 dashes Worchestershire sauce
For serving (optional)
- Parmesan shavings or extra grated Parmesan
- Cut romaine stalks in half lengthwise, keeping the ends intact so each half stays together.
- Brush both sides of the romaine with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the brushed romaine stalks cut-side down and sear for 3-4 minutes, until well-browned. Then flip and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes until browned and the romaine is slightly wilted. (You may need to work in batches, depending on how much you make, if it won’t all fit in your pan.)
- Meanwhile, make the Caesar dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small jar and shake vigorously. You can also whisk everything together in a bowl.
- Serve seared romaine with the dressing and Parmesan shavings and croutons, if desired.
You can also grill the romaine on a grill pan or outside. Preheat the grill to 400 and grease the grates with an oil-soaked towel. Grill about 3 minutes per side, until well-browned.
The dressing is chunky due to the Parmesan cheese and minced garlic. You can spoon it over the grilled romaine if it’s not pouring out well.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 208kcal Calories from fat 139|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|