Slow cooker honey garlic chicken is just 5 ingredients and minutes to prep and smells amazing as it cooks! You’ll want to drizzle this delicious sauce over your whole plate!
Welcome to a new week, my friends!
We've got an extra busy one this week and I'm going to be happy about all the meal prepping I did over the weekend and all the easy dinners I have planned.
Including this one.
Today, I’m finally bringing you a slow cooker version of one of my most popular recipes!
This slow cooker honey garlic chicken has the same amazing sauce as the original 15-minute honey garlic chicken, which gets rave reviews. And as honey garlic chicken stir fry, which has a ton of veggies added in.
But this version is made in the slow cooker, so it’s waiting for you when you get home. 🙌
It takes just a few minutes to prep and it’s only 5 ingredients, so this delicious dinner is perfect for crazy days.
And oh, you are going to swoon and drool when you start to smell this cooking away in your crock pot and perfuming the whole house.
It smells amazing!
It’ll have everyone banging their forks on the table, demanding the meal to be served immediately!
So let’s get cooking!
Now, I’ve got some notes, tips and substitutions coming up below on how to make crock pot honey garlic chicken. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
- Chicken: I use and recommend boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts as well. I’ve made it that way and while it’s a tad less flavorful, it’s still really good.
- Soy sauce: I use and recommend a low-sodium soy sauce so you can control the sodium in this dish. Want to make this recipe gluten-free? Just sub some gluten-free tamari for the soy sauce.
- Red pepper flakes: You can adjust the heat of this dish by adjusting how much red pepper flakes you use. As is, it’s a low-medium level of spicy. I use a bit less than what the recipe calls for when I’m making it for my kids and they’re fine with it.
- You know me, I’m all about the toppings. Read on below for my favorites!
Let's get ready to eat.
- We love having this served over steamed brown rice. White or basmati rice would work well, too.
- You could also keep it low-carb and serve it with some of my easy cauliflower rice.
- I bet it’d also be delicious over quinoa or some rice noodles or a long, thin noodle like angel hair. Anything to sop up more of that sauce!
- Add a veggie side - such as broccoli, snow peas, green peas - to round out the meal.
You can also check out these honey garlic chicken rice bowls for another great way to serve this chicken or to use the leftovers. So yummy!)
And of course, there are toppings. You know I’m always going to give you topping options!
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Chopped peanuts
- An extra sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Drizzle of sriracha for a spicy kick 🌶
Mix and match and choose your favorites.
Whatever you do though, make sure you drizzle some extra of that scrumptious honey garlic sauce over everything on your plate! You won’t regret it.
Last thing... what to do with any leftovers.
The leftovers, once cooled, can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Reheat over medium low heat in a skillet or in single servings in the microwave. (Bonus: The sauce helps keep the chicken from drying out.
Yes, the leftovers freeze great! Once cooled, place in a freezer-safe ziptop bag or container, label and ate it, and freeze for up to 5 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave or in a skillet.
I hope you give this recipe a try when you need a super easy, super yummy dinner!
- 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and black pepper
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, adjust for heat)
- Sliced green onions, chopped peanuts, chopped parsley or cilantro, extra sprinkle of red pepper flakes or a drizzle of sriracha for a spicy kick
- Season chicken thighs lightly with salt and black pepper and add to the insert of your slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in a small bowl and pour the sauce over the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2 ½-3 hours.
- Remove the chicken thighs and either cut it into chunks or shred it with two forks. Mix the chicken back into the sauce in the slow cooker and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes, to help absorb the juices.
- Serve hot with any desired toppings and enjoy!
Chicken: I use and recommend boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts as well. (It's just a little less flavorful.)
Soy sauce: Want to make this gluten-free? Just sub some gluten-free tamari for the soy sauce.
Red pepper flakes: You can adjust the heat of this dish by adjusting how much red pepper flakes you use. As is, it’s a low-medium level of spicy. I use a bit less than what the recipe calls for when I’m making it for my kids and they’re fine with it.
Serving: We love this served over steamed rice (brown or white). You could also do basmati rice or cauliflower rice. Or try it with quinoa or rice noodles or other thin noodle. Add a favorite steamed veggie - such as broccoli, snow peas, green peas - to round out the meal.
Leftovers: Once cooled, leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Or freeze the leftovers for up to 5 months in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat over medium low in a skillet or in individual servings in the microwave until warmed through. (Bonus: The sauce helps keep the chicken from drying out!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 962mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 48g