I love stuffed peppers but I always ended up with slightly crunchy peppers when I baked them in the oven and it just wasn’t working for me.
This slow cooker version allows for a much more tender pepper while still holding everything together for a delicious – and beautiful – dinner. Plus, it’s hands off and you can go about your business while these cook.
You just want to take the top of your red pepper and hollow it out.
Then mix together your pre-cooked chicken, corn, black beans and seasonings. When your brown rice is ready, add that in and mix everything together.
The recipe is for two peppers, but it’s easily doubled – or tripled – if you want to serve 4 or 6.
You may have extra of your filling – throw it in a wrap with some lettuce, maybe a bit of salsa or Greek yogurt and call that lunch tomorrow. Yum!
Served here with my super simple spinach salad.
* Use quinoa instead of brown rice.
* Add some cayenne or red pepper flakes for a bit more heat.
* Mix some diced tomatoes in with the filling.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1/3 cup corn (I use frozen)
- 1 small grilled chicken breast, small diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 scant teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salsa, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, sliced black olives.
- Cook brown rice.
- Prepare the peppers. If yours aren’t standing pretty, slice a very thin layer off the bottom to get them straight and upright.
- Next, slice the very top off the peppers. Clean out the seeds and ribs from inside the peppers and discard.
- Mix together black beans, corn, chicken and spices.
- When the rice is finished, add it to the bean mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture.
- Place the peppers in the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove, top with your favorite toppings and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 632 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 120mg Sodium: 1724mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 18g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 52g