Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/slow-cooker-tequila-chicken/
© 2016 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Slow cooker tequila chicken
10 servings adjust servings
Slow cooker tequila chicken is easy with lots of fresh lime flavor!
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup tequila (preferably a dark tequila)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 4 limes, divided
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 jalapeno, membranes and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (a heaping cup or so)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- For serving: brown rice, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado slices
- Combine all of the ingredients, reserving one lime for later, in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred with two forks then stir it back into the sauce. (It will seem like a lot of sauce but the chicken soaks up almost all of it.)
- Squeeze the juice of the remaining lime over the chicken and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over brown rice and top with Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and avocado slices. (Or use for tacos or enchiladas.)
This recipe makes a lot! It freezes great - I just pop the extra shredded chicken and some juice from the slow cooker into a labeled Ziploc freezer bag. You can use the extras for tacos and enchiladas, burritos or even with a salad.
Of course, you can easily halve the recipe, too, if you prefer.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 321kcal Calories from fat 94|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|