Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/spinach-banana-mini-muffins/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Spinach-banana mini muffins
36 mini muffins adjust servings
Moist and beautifully green, these are a healthy kid and adult favorite!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar (see notes)
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the oil, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mash the banana and add to wet mixture.
- Blend the spinach leaves in a food processor until very finely chopped. Add to the wet mixture and mix to combine everything well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Spray a large mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Spoon the batter into each cup, filling them all the way to the top.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the muffin tin and let cool. Store in the fridge, or freeze for later use. They freeze beautifully!
Update: I've also made a naturally sweetened version of these using honey in place of the sugar. You can replace the sugar with a full 1/3 cup of honey and then use just 2 tablespoons of oil, to balance the amount of liquids. Everything else is the same and they came out great!
Recipe adapted from Fun & Food Cafe.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 60kcal Calories from fat 19|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|