Posted by Kathrynhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/turkey-tacos/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved. 4 servings adjust servings
Turkey tacos are an easy, healthy weeknight dinner. Just add your favorite toppings!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1.25 pounds ground turkey (the average size of a package)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade or from a packet)
- 8-10 taco shells (we're partial to the crunchy stand-n-stuff variety)
- Toppings: Shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), chopped pickled jalapeños, sliced avocado, chopped black olives
- Cook brown rice.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 325 for taco shells (or follow package instructions).
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey. (I don’t use olive oil or cooking spray and have no problems with sticking.) Cook on one side until browned then turn over and cook on other side while breaking up with a spatula.
- Once turkey is cooked through, sprinkle taco seasoning and add about 1/3 cup water. Less if your turkey rendered a lot of moisture/fat, a bit more if it didn't. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Assemble tacos: Layer brown rice and taco turkey mixture in your taco shells and top with your favorite toppings.
You can certainly skip the rice and these will come together even faster! Also, see below for more ideas of variations.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 534kcal Calories from fat 166|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|