Okra and tomatoes are some of the South’s summer stars for veggies. And they go unbelievably well together.
Okra, as I have mentioned before, does not have to be fried and does not have to be slimy. A quick saute does the trick in my skillet okra, corn and tomatoes recipe. But here, I’ve opted for a fast roasted okra in the oven, and the okra stays whole. If you’ve never had it this way, you gotta try it!
The okra gets charred and a bit crispy, while being perfectly tender on the inside and no trace of slime. The tomatoes shrivel and char up a bit and become a little ball of juicy just waiting to burst right in your mouth. It’s a great combination of textures with a deep flavor. Roasting is a beautiful thing that way. Easy, hands-off and a sure-fire delicious option for so many things, veggies included.
Fast, healthy and delicious. Try this whole roasted okra and tomatoes at your table soon!
Whole roasted okra and tomatoes
Whole roasted okra and cherry tomatoes make for a quick, healthy side dish!
- 1 pound okra, tops cut off
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450. Meanwhile, trim your okra and combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. (Or be lazy like me and dump everything onto the roasting pan and toss it with your hands. Fewer dishes.)
- Roast the okra and tomatoes for about 10 minutes, then shake the pan to help the veggies rotate a bit for even charring and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 84kcal Calories from fat 34|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
**Are you an okra lover? What’s your favorite way to eat it?