This cool, creamy rice salad is great for warm weather when you don’t feel like eating a plate full of steamy food. I add tomatoes and cucumber, drizzle with a dreamy yogurt-based dressing and top with fresh basil.
It screams summer!
Plus, you can make this ahead of time and serve it cold or at room temperature.
It makes for a great potluck and picnic item, and frees you up to enjoy the party. Cause I don’t want to have to fuss over food when I could be sipping a drink and chatting with friends or running around with the kiddos.
Sometimes both… 😉 All about the multi-tasking!
This cool rice salad goes with everything – grilled or roasted chicken, fish, pork or steak. And if you’ve got a spicy dish, this will help cool things down. It’s an ideal, get-along-with-everyone kind of side dish.
So if it’s hot and humid outside, mix up this little rice salad and cool things down.
Cool creamy rice salad with yogurt dressing
Cool down with this delicious creamy rice salad!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook brown rice.
- While the rice cooks, chop your veggies and prepare the yogurt dressing.
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together in a small bowl until well combined.
- When the rice is finished, rinse under cold water then lay it out on some paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Pat it dry and put rice in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes and cucumber. Add the yogurt mixture to the bowl and stir everything until it’s well combined.
- Add the chopped basil and stir gently to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
Recipe NotesIf making ahead, wait and add the basil when you serve it.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 310 Calories from fat 250|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 28||43%|
|Saturated Fat 6||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 0||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
** What’s your favorite cool side dish in warm weather?