Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is an easy, one-pot complete dinner that’s ready in about 30 minutes!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias #ad
Hiya friends! I hope you had a great weekend! We did birthday party extravaganza on Saturday and watched some football and made it over to the pumpkin patch yesterday afternoon for hay rides and a farm tour. It’s been a fun fall tradition ever since M was 6 months old. This year, too, J was really into it. He’s ALL about the animals and anything farm-related, so it was a perfect trip.
But I’m guessing you’re more interested in that there big ole pot of pasta goodness. 😉
As we get further into the fall craziness, with holiday season on its heels, I’m bringing you a quick and easy dinner recipe today. (Though, yes, I bring you quick + easy recipes most days!)
One-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is simple enough for a weeknight dinner but lovely enough for company — and it can definitely serve a crowd!
In fact, I made it during a family beach trip this past spring. It was an easy one to pick up ingredients for when we were away from home and staying at a condo that didn’t have anything. And everyone — and I mean, everyone — went back for seconds.
It may be because it’s so creamy with 3, count ‘em, THREE cheeses!
And although that sounds pretty decadent, it’s overall a really light and healthy dinner. Oh, and easy, too. Always a win in my book!
You know I love my one-pot pastas, right? Almost as much as I love my huge purple pot. Had to be purple. I’m a purple girl through and through. 💜💜💜
And today I’m bringing you another one-pot pasta favorite.
And I’m using Barilla® Whole Grain, which is made with 100% whole wheat but has the same great taste you’re used to with pasta. I try to only use whole wheat pasta (unless I’m substituting a gluten-free pasta for friends or family – which I have done with Barilla’s Gluten Free pasta for this recipe!) and we’ve never looked back.
I hope you’ll give whole wheat pasta a chance. It’s a great way to healthify your favorite pasta dishes. You can find out more about Barilla products here. You can also get a coupon here to buy Barilla pastas and sauces at Target, which is where I picked mine up.
A few substitution notes for this one-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta:
- This recipe calls for cooked chicken. I’ve used chicken that I did in the slow cooker and shredded and I’ve also used leftover roast chicken. You could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken as well.
- You can omit peas if you’re not a fan. I’ve done that before for a crowd and just served this with some roasted asparagus or steamed broccoli.
- You can also omit the mushrooms if you’d prefer. I think they add some heartiness and creaminess to the dish, but it’s still great without it.
- Like it spicy? Add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes when you add the garlic and give it a kick.
I hope you try this out for an easy, healthy, family-friendly meal.
Enjoy and have a great week!
One-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas
Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is an easy, one-pot dinner!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 lb.) box Barilla Whole Grain penne pasta
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese (I use 1/3 reduced fat)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (see notes)
- For serving: 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onions are tender and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add pasta and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is nearly cooked. I lift the lid and stir it once or twice during the cooking time so the pasta gets moved around and can cook evenly.
- Add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir until melted and well combined. You can add an extra splash of chicken broth if needed to get everything to mix well.
- Add thawed peas and shredded chicken and stir to combine. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese (if using).
Recipe NotesYou can use chicken that’s been cooked and shredded in the slow cooker or poached on the stove or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
I place my frozen peas in a colander and run them under cold water for a minute or two to thaw them quickly.
I’ve also made this recipe with Barilla’s Gluten Free penne pasta and it turned out great.
Here’s where to find Barilla pasta in your local Target, which is where I picked mine up: