I call this the party salad. It’s beautiful, dressed and always ready for a good time, whatever the occasion. It brings color, flavor and fun. Party, party!
It’s also very versatile. You can serve this with chips as an appetizer dip. Or spoon it atop some simple grilled chicken or fish, or use it as a side salad with anything grilled. It’s a make-ahead dish you can take to picnics, barbecues or use as an easy weeknight side.
We’ve used it all of those ways. My mom has been making this black bean salad for years and it’s always a hit. Whenever I get stuck on what to bring to a potluck, I fall back on this. It’s a surefire winner and we all need to have one of those tucked in our back pockets.
This black bean salad is also great layered in a wrap with some lettuce and leftover chicken, turkey, steak, whatever you got. Hello, lunch! Sometimes I stash a little away so I’m sure to have extras the next day. Cause it usually doesn’t last that long.
Whatever you do with it, go make this salad. If nothing else, it’s a party in your mouth!
Black bean and mango salad
A beautiful and versatile salad that’s bursting with colors and flavors!
For the salad
- 1 14.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11 oz. can white shoepeg corn, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all of the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Separately, combine the dressing ingredients and mix well. (I like to use a small jar or Tupperware container to make dressing. Add everything, cover and shake it, shake it, shake it.)
- Pour dressing over salad. (See Notes, below.) You can serve immediately or stick it in the fridge and let all of the lovely ingredients get to know each other.
- Enjoy as a side salad, with chips for an appetizer, over grilled chicken or fish, or in a wrap.
I don't usually use all of the dressing. Start by pouring a little more than half over the salad and see where that gets you. You can save the extra in the fridge to drizzle over as you re-use the salad again and again.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 318kcal Calories from fat 144|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Do you have a favorite all-purpose salad?