This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy grits breakfast bowls are loaded with crumbled sausage, soft scrambled eggs and sautéed spinach for a hearty, delicious start to the day!
School’s out for summer!
We wrapped up our school years this past week (M finished kindergarten and J finished his 3-year-old preschool year) and are looking ahead to what seems like an endless summer stretching out before us.
Long days, tons of sunshine, afternoons by the pool or riding bikes in the neighborhood, evenings on the porch, lazy weekend mornings in PJs… yes, please!
And speaking of weekend mornings in PJs…
Today I’m brining you these cheesy grits breakfast bowls with crumbled sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs and sautéed spinach. Such a hearty breakfast and sure to keep your belly full and happy for lunch!
These are in honor of Father’s Day, which is coming up this weekend. Cause Mother’s Day isn’t the only time we can enjoy a breakfast feast – the Dads want in on the brunch fun too!
And this is the perfect manly breakfast to serve the fathers in your life!
The creamy, cheesy grits serve as the base for these bowls and are OH so delicious!
(If you are a grits lover like me, you gotta check out my overnight cheesy grits casserole, too!)
And the sausage, egg and spinach piled up on top, while totally customizable, really pull this bowl together and make it extra decadent!
A few notes on these cheesy grits breakfast bowls:
- I prefer to use yellow stone ground grits, but you can use whichever type you prefer. Just follow the package instructions. And if you opt for the quick-cooking kind, you’ll need to start your sausage, spinach and eggs before you start the grits.
- You can use mild or spicy turkey sausage for these bowls, or substitute a pork sausage, veggie sausage or sausage patties. Or do bacon if that’s your thing!
- Sautéed spinach is my dad’s favorite – and one of mine and my husband’s, too – so I included it here. You can skip the spinach or substitute another veggie if you prefer.
- I made scrambled eggs for our bowls but you could substitute a fried or poached egg for each bowl.
- We love serving our cheesy grits bowls with a little hot sauce on top! 🌶
Happy Father’s Day to all the amazing dads out there (and especially to those in my life!)
Hope it’s a fun and delicious day!
Cheesy grits breakfast bowls with sausage, scrambled eggs and spinach
Cheesy grits breakfast bowls are loaded with crumbled sausage, soft scrambled eggs and sautéed spinach!
- 1/2 cup grits (see notes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 links mild (or spicy) turkey sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook grits according to package directions. Once cooked, stir in cheese and butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the grits are cooking, cook the turkey sausage in a medium pan over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium low and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the spinach and saute until it’s mostly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the spinach to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and return to stove over medium low. Add remaining teaspoon of olive oil (or substitute butter or just use cooking spray).
Add the eggs to the pan and cook until scrambled and set. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the bowls: Divide the grits among the two bowls then top with sausage, spinach and scrambled eggs.
I prefer to use yellow stone ground grits, but you can use whichever type you prefer. If you opt for the quick-cooking kind, you’ll need to start your sausage, spinach and eggs before you start the grits.
You can use mild or spicy turkey sausage for these bowls, or substitute a pork sausage, veggie sausage or sausage patties. Or do bacon if that’s your thing!
I made scrambled eggs for our bowls but you could substitute a fried egg for each bowl.
We love serving our cheesy grits bowls with a little hot sauce on top!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 698kcal Calories from fat 404|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 45g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||105%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|