These 5-ingredient cranberry chocolate walnut energy balls make the perfect pick-me-up!
I’ve been in a serious cranberry mood recently. Fresh cranberries, dried cranberries, I’m all over it. Something about that tartness and sweetness together. Mmm. Bring on the cranberries.
And I will be bringing you the cranberries, too. After today’s recipe, I’ve got two more coming your way this month (and possibly a third; I’m still perfecting it!) Cranberry craziness here!
These little energy balls are packed with nutritious goodies and offer a serious snack solution. Long days of shopping? Road trip a yawn? Pop one of these babies in your mouth and you’ll be set to go. They are dense and oh so filling. They satisfy a sweet tooth, too, which is always a bonus in my book.
Plus, it’s just 5 ingredients: walnuts, dates, dried cranberries, cocoa powder and peanut butter (you can sub almond butter if you’d prefer). But I highly recommend adding the optional 6th ingredient: mini chocolate chips. Stir these into the batter before you roll up your balls and you will be ready to face the world. They add just an extra punch of sweetness and a doubling down on the chocolate. Also always a bonus in my book!
I hope your holidays are nothing but merry and bright. But if you’re dragging ass by the middle of the month, these are your go-to pick-me-ups. And they’re also great for bake sales, cookie exchanges, teacher or neighbor gifts… you name it. Everyone will love them!
Cranberry chocolate walnut energy balls
These easy, 5-ingredient energy balls make the perfect pick-me-up snack!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped small
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup peanut butter (or sub almond butter)
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse until they are mostly ground up. Transfer the crushed walnuts to a medium bowl.
- Next, add the dates and cranberries to the food processor. Pulse until they are more finely chopped. You may need to stop several times and scrape them from the sides (they are sticky) and continue to pulse on and off until they are more finely chopped. Some medium-sized chunks are OK.
- Next, add the cocoa powder, peanut butter and crashed walnuts to the dates and cranberries in the food processor. Pulse and mix until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl (I use the same one the walnuts had been in) and stir to make sure everything is well combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Add mini chocolate chips, if using, and stir very well to incorporate evenly.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place on a wax paper-lined plate (for easy clean-up) and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to help them firm up.
- Remove from the freezer and eat or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
** What's your go-to energy boost during the busy holiday season? **
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary
Hahaha! Bring on the cranberry craziness, girlfriend!! I need all the help in the energy department recently, so these balls are toe'ts calling my name! LOVING that these are only 5 ingredients! Please send me 100. 🙂 Cheers, doll! <3
Pop a couple of these and you'll be ready to go Cheyanne! 100 and you might never make it past the nearest chair you collapse into 😉 I'll totally send you a double or triple batch though, to get you through the next few weeks! XO
Love these balls, I love the tartiness of cranberries too, not to mention anything with peanut butter in it. 🙂
Tart cranberries plus creamy peanut butter - oh yes girl, we're in this together!
Linda | The Baker Who Kerns
I love seeing all my favorite ingredients packed into one delicious treat! I'll definitely need these to give me a little pick me up while I'm doing all that Christmas shopping!
Yes Linda! It's all the good things rolled up into one perfect little ball - exactly what you need to power the Christmas shopping excursions!
Yum! I wish I had a few to pop in my mouth right now...I have everything but the dates, so tomorrow I will pick those up and give these little darlings a try!
They are little darlings! Tasty little darlings 🙂 I hope you love them, Susan!
Jess @ Sweetest Menu
Wow these look fantastic! Full of so many good things! And I have cranberries in the cupboard that are begging to be put to good use. Pinning!
Thanks Jess! They are packed with wholesome goodness. Definitely a good way to use some cranberries - I've been on a serious cranberry kick lately 🙂
[email protected] Thoroughly Nourished Life
I love cranberries! Anytime of year they are just perfect, but especially at Christmas time! I'm trying to be 'good' in the lead up to Christmas and the feasting that ensues, and these little energy balls are just what I need to power through the last weeks of meetings, running, and baking! What a delicious idea!
I'm with you Amy - I've always got cranberries on hand, but I seem to go especially crazy for them around the holidays! And these are the perfect sweet treat to get you through the day with plenty of room left for holiday feasting plans 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!
Lauren @ Create Bake Make
I love how easy these are and better yet they are good for you too!
Thanks Lauren! They really are perfect little snack bites 🙂
These sound delicious! 🙂
Thanks Raia! They ARE!! Hope you give them a try!