These 5-ingredient cranberry chocolate walnut energy balls make the perfect pick-me-up!
I’ve been in a serious cranberry mood recently. Fresh cranberries, dried cranberries, I’m all over it. Something about that tartness and sweetness together. Mmm. Bring on the cranberries.
And I will be bringing you the cranberries, too. After today’s recipe, I’ve got two more coming your way this month (and possibly a third; I’m still perfecting it!) Cranberry craziness here!
These little energy balls are packed with nutritious goodies and offer a serious snack solution. Long days of shopping? Road trip a yawn? Pop one of these babies in your mouth and you’ll be set to go. They are dense and oh so filling. They satisfy a sweet tooth, too, which is always a bonus in my book.
Plus, it’s just 5 ingredients: walnuts, dates, dried cranberries, cocoa powder and peanut butter (you can sub almond butter if you’d prefer). But I highly recommend adding the optional 6th ingredient: mini chocolate chips. Stir these into the batter before you roll up your balls and you will be ready to face the world. They add just an extra punch of sweetness and a doubling down on the chocolate. Also always a bonus in my book!
I hope your holidays are nothing but merry and bright. But if you’re dragging ass by the middle of the month, these are your go-to pick-me-ups. And they’re also great for bake sales, cookie exchanges, teacher or neighbor gifts… you name it. Everyone will love them!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped small
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup peanut butter (or sub almond butter)
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse until they are mostly ground up. Transfer the crushed walnuts to a medium bowl.
- Next, add the dates and cranberries to the food processor. Pulse until they are more finely chopped. You may need to stop several times and scrape them from the sides (they are sticky) and continue to pulse on and off until they are more finely chopped. Some medium-sized chunks are OK.
- Next, add the cocoa powder, peanut butter and crashed walnuts to the dates and cranberries in the food processor. Pulse and mix until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl (I use the same one the walnuts had been in) and stir to make sure everything is well combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Add mini chocolate chips, if using, and stir very well to incorporate evenly.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place on a wax paper-lined plate (for easy clean-up) and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to help them firm up.
- Remove from the freezer and eat or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
** What's your go-to energy boost during the busy holiday season? **