This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy wild rice sausage kale bowl is a 3-ingredient dinner that’s flavorful and filling – perfect for a weeknight family dinner!
Today is our first day back at school.
M is in first grade this year and J is in the 4-year-old preschool class. How in the heck did that happen?!
I know they’ll have a great year but I definitely feel some first day jitters on their behalf! It’s a little easier for J because we know his teacher (M had her too) and he has the same group of friends he’s been with for years.
M at least is returning to her same elementary school and has some familiar faces (versus last year when it was ALL new) but I’m still crossing my fingers and toes that she loves her teacher and makes some new friends.
Regardless, I’m gonna want to spend tonight listening to their first-day stories and giving them a little extra love and attention. 💕
So today’s wild rice sausage kale bowl recipe is one of my super easy weeknight favorites – with pretty much just 3 ingredients!
You cook the wild rice and add some seasonings while you sauté some turkey sausage (or use pork) and stir in some kale to wilt down.
Done and done!
Plus, this makes for a really hearty, filling bowl. Perfect family eats!
A few notes on this easy wild rice sausage kale bowl:
- I use just plain wild rice for this bowl (from a big package I buy) but you could substitute a boxed version. I’ve done that before but will say I didn’t think one of the small boxes made enough rice for the amount of the sausage and kale here, so you may want to use two. (Also, you can use the seasoning packet and skip the seasonings here if you want to make it even easier.)
- I prefer a hot Italian turkey sausage but you can use mild too (which I do sometimes for the kids). You can also substitute pork sausage if you’d rather. Just be sure to drain any extra grease.
- I love these bowls topped with a little Parmesan cheese, but that’s optional.
Wishing you all an easy transition back to the school year.
Even if you don’t have little ones, this always seems like a time of year to reset, renew, refresh and refocus, don’t you think?
And wishing you easy, yummy dinners like this to get you through as well 😊
Until Thursday, my friends!
Easy wild rice sausage kale bowl
Easy wild rice sausage kale bowl is flavorful and filling and perfect for a weeknight family dinner!
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4-5 cups kale, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cook wild rice according to package directions. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
Meanwhile, cook the turkey sausage over medium-high heat until well browned, breaking up as it cooks, about 8-10 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, add chopped kale and stir until it’s wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
Serve rice in bowls and top with sausage and kale mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and enjoy!
I use just plain wild rice for this bowl and season it myself but you could substitute a boxed version. I've done it but I didn’t think one of the small boxes made enough rice for the amount of the sausage and kale here, so you may want to use two. (Also, you can use the seasoning packet and skip the seasonings here if you want to make it even easier.)
I prefer a hot Italian turkey sausage but you can use mild too (which I do sometimes for the kids). You can also substitute pork sausage if you’d rather. Just be sure to drain any extra grease.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 393kcal Calories from fat 94|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|