Easy wild rice sausage kale bowl is a 3-ingredient dinner that’s flavorful and filling – perfect for a weeknight family dinner!
Today is our first day back at school.
M is in first grade this year and J is in the 4-year-old preschool class. How in the heck did that happen?!
I know they’ll have a great year but I definitely feel some first day jitters on their behalf! It’s a little easier for J because we know his teacher (M had her too) and he has the same group of friends he’s been with for years.
M at least is returning to her same elementary school and has some familiar faces (versus last year when it was ALL new) but I’m still crossing my fingers and toes that she loves her teacher and makes some new friends.
Regardless, I’m gonna want to spend tonight listening to their first-day stories and giving them a little extra love and attention. 💕
So today’s wild rice sausage kale bowl recipe is one of my super easy weeknight favorites – with pretty much just 3 ingredients!
(Love these kinds of easy recipes?! Me too! My 6-ingredient turkey sausage and kale stuffed spaghetti squash and turkey sausage, squash and spinach pasta are great go-to recipes as well! As is this turkey sausage, sweet potato and Brussels sprouts skillet that’s just one pot and ready in 30 minutes. And if you loved keeping smoked sausage on hand as an easy, flavorful protein, check out this Cajun sausage skillet.)
You cook the wild rice and add some seasonings while you sauté some turkey sausage (or use pork) and stir in some kale to wilt down.
Done and done!
Plus, this makes for a really hearty, filling bowl. Perfect family eats!
Notes on easy wild rice sausage kale bowl:
- I use just plain wild rice for this bowl (from a big package I buy) but you could substitute a boxed version. I’ve done that before but will say I didn’t think one of the small boxes made enough rice for the amount of the sausage and kale here, so you may want to use two bxoes. (Also, you can use the seasoning packet that comes with the box and then skip the seasonings here if you want to make it even easier.)
- I prefer a hot Italian turkey sausage but you can use mild too (which I do sometimes for the kids). You can also substitute pork sausage if you’d rather. Just be sure to drain any extra grease.
- I love these bowls topped with a little Parmesan cheese, but that’s optional.
Wishing you all an easy transition back to the school year.
Even if you don’t have little ones, this always seems like a time of year to reset, renew, refresh and refocus, don’t you think?
And wishing you easy, yummy dinners like this to get you through as well 😊
Until Thursday, my friends!
P.S. If you love this recipe, check out turkey sausage, farro and kale skillet; another easy, all-in-one dinner idea!
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4-5 cups kale, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Meanwhile, cook the turkey sausage over medium-high heat until well browned, breaking up as it cooks, about 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add chopped kale and stir until it’s wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve rice in bowls and top with sausage and kale mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and enjoy!
I use just plain wild rice for this bowl and season it myself but you could substitute a boxed version. I've done it but I didn’t think one of the small boxes made enough rice for the amount of the sausage and kale here, so you may want to use two boxes. (Also, you can use the seasoning packet that comes with the box and then skip the seasonings here if you want to make it even easier.)
I prefer a hot Italian turkey sausage but you can use mild too (which I do sometimes for the kids). You can also substitute pork sausage if you’d rather. Just be sure to drain any extra grease.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 879mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 29g