Homemade trail mix is so easy and so much cheaper than buying the prepackaged kind. Plus, you can make it to suit yourself!
Trail mix is great to have on hand for snacks, particularly when you need a portable one. I love taking some of this along for afternoons at the pool, for car or plane rides, and it’s great even just to have on hand at the office. Such a balanced, healthy snack!
This is our favorite mix, featuring walnuts, O cereal (we use the Trader Joe’s kind), and a mix of dried fruits: golden and regular raisins, dried cranberries and dried blueberries. And for fun, I throw in some mini chocolate chips.
You can make this to suit your family’s tastes – use your favorite nut (or a combination of nuts), your favorite cereal, add more or less of any of the fruits, or even add in extras like mini marshmallows or M&Ms.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or your favorite nut)
- 1/4 cup cheerios or O cereal (we use the Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/4 cup raisins (I use a combo of golden and regular)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Mix everything together very well and store in an airtight container. Or divvy up into smaller containers.
This makes a fairly small batch - enough for 4-5 small snacks. Feel free to double or triple the batch to have extras. (I usually do!)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
** What’s your favorite nut?