Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is an easy, cheesy, one-pot pasta dinner that’s ready in about 30 minutes!
Hiya friends! I hope you had a great weekend!
We did birthday party extravaganza on Saturday and watched some football and made it over to the pumpkin patch yesterday afternoon for hay rides and a farm tour. It’s been a fun fall tradition ever since M was 6 months old. This year, too, J was really into it. He’s ALL about the animals and anything farm-related, so it was a perfect trip. ❤️
But I’m guessing you’re more interested in that there big ole pot of pasta goodness. 😉
As we get further into the fall craziness, with holiday season on its heels, I’m bringing you a quick and easy dinner recipe today. (Though, yes, I bring you quick + easy recipes most days!)
One-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is simple enough for a weeknight dinner but lovely enough for company — and it can definitely serve a crowd!
In fact, I made it during a family beach trip this past spring. It was an easy one to pick up ingredients for when we were away from home and staying at a condo that didn’t have anything. And everyone — and I mean, everyone — went back for seconds.
It may be because it’s so creamy with 3, count ‘em, THREE cheeses!
And although that sounds pretty decadent, it’s overall a really light and healthy dinner. Oh, and easy, too. Always a win in my book!
You know I love my one-pot pastas, right? Almost as much as I love my huge purple pot. Had to be purple. I’m a purple girl through and through. 💜💜💜
I’ve also got a one pot pasta with chicken sausage, spinach and peas.
And today I’m bringing you another one-pot pasta favorite.
Now, I’ve got some notes and tips coming up below on how to make this one-pot pasta with chicken. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
Notes on one-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta:
- This recipe calls for cooked chicken. I’ve used chicken that I did in the slow cooker and shredded and I’ve also used leftover roast chicken. You could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken as well.
- You can omit peas if you’re not a fan. I’ve done that before for a crowd and just served this with some roasted asparagus or steamed broccoli.
- Or you could stir in some spinach to wilt down at the end.
- You can also omit the mushrooms if you’d prefer. I think they add some heartiness and creaminess to the dish, but it’s still great without it.
- Like it spicy? Add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes when you add the garlic to give this a kick.
As for the pasta part, I usually opt for a whole grain or whole wheat penne. You can use regular pasta or a gluten-free pasta. I’ve done that before and it works great.
You can also use a different pasta shape if you prefer, you may just need to adjust the cooking time.
As mentioned, too, this makes a lot so it’s a great meal for serving a crowd. But you’ll also be so happy if you end up with some leftovers! They keep and reheat great and make a delicious lunch or dinner again another night.
Storage tips for one-pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta:
– Store the leftovers, once cooled, in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
– Or pack the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container, that’s labelled and dated, and freeze for up to 5 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
– Reheat in the microwave until hot and serve it up.
I hope you try this out for an easy, healthy, family-friendly meal.
Enjoy and have a great week!
P.S. Check out my VIDEO to see how easy this recipe is!
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 lb.) box penne pasta (whole wheat, regular or gluten free are fine)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese (I use 1/3 reduced fat)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (see notes)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onions are tender and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add pasta and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is nearly cooked. I lift the lid and stir it once or twice during the cooking time so the pasta gets moved around and can cook evenly.
- Add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir until melted and well combined. You can add an extra splash of chicken broth if needed to get everything to mix well.
- Add thawed peas and shredded chicken and stir to combine. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese (if using).
You can use chicken that’s been cooked and shredded in the slow cooker or poached on the stove or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
I place my frozen peas in a colander and run them under cold water for a minute or two to thaw them quickly. You can also add them frozen, it'll just take an extra few minutes to get them warmed through.
You can omit peas if you’re not a fan. I’ve done that before for a crowd and just served this with some roasted asparagus or steamed broccoli. Or you could stir in some spinach to wilt down at the end.
Also, you an omit the mushrooms if you don't have any or don't care for them. They add a great heartiness to the dish, but it's delicious without them as well.
Like it spicy? Add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes when you add the garlic to give this a kick.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g