This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars are slightly lightened up and whole grain for a delicious snack that tastes like a giant, thick cookie!
These might be the most delicious little snack bars in the world. I am so addicted!
We’ve got peanut butter and chocolate chips and whole grains and all kinds of amazingness rolled into one easy recipe.
What’s not to love, right?!
Side note: Who are we kidding? This is like a massive cookie. But I’ve made some healthyish swaps, so it really passes as a decent snack.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 👍
Back to the super-thick, soft, chewy
cookies snack bars. Ah, I cannot get enough!
Notes on these peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars:
- I use peanut butter here, obviously, but you could substitute almond or cashew butter if you prefer.
- I always bake with white whole wheat flour (it’s more nutritious and you can’t taste the difference!) but you can substitute regular all-purpose flour if that’s what you have.
- I like a lot of chocolate chips here – a full cup! – but you could reduce to 3/4 cup if you want to lighten them up a bit more.
As you can see, I make mine rather large. I get 9 big snack/cookie bars. You could cut these smaller, into 12 or 16 squares if you want. I don’t really want. 😂
I’d rather have large, thick beautiful peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars. Everyone else in my family seems to feel the same way. So we keep them big.
Super small little squares but would be cute for a party though, so everyone can have just a nibble.
You can also double the recipe and make this in a 9×13 pan, if you have a larger crew. Or if you just want more of these in your life. I understand and I’m so with you. 😉
You just gotta make these. Soon.
That is all.
And look! I made you a video so you can see how easy these are! Press play:
Peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars
Peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars are a delicious, whole grain snack or dessert!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted), or oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray and 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together butter, applesauce, egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir until sugar is dissolved and everything is well mixed. Add peanut butter and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir to combine but don’t overmix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place the dough into the prepared pan and spread the mixture out evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
You can cut these into 9 large or 12 to 16 smaller squares.
You can substitute all-purpose flour if you prefer. You can also substitute almond or cashew butter if needed.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 339kcal Calories from fat 173|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|