Peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars are slightly lightened up and whole grain for a delicious snack that tastes like a giant, thick cookie!
These might be the most delicious little snack bars in the world. I am so addicted!
We've got peanut butter and chocolate chips and whole grains and all kinds of amazingness rolled into one easy recipe.
What's not to love, right?!
(If you are on board, you must try my go-to homemade granola bars. Sooo good!)
Side note: Who are we kidding? These snack bars today are like a massive cookie. But I’ve made some healthyish swaps, so it really passes as a decent snack.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 👍
Back to the super-thick, soft, chewy
cookies snack bars. Ah, I cannot get enough!
Notes on peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars:
- I use peanut butter here, obviously, but you could substitute almond or cashew butter if you prefer.
- I always bake with white whole wheat flour (it's more nutritious and you can't taste the difference!) but you can substitute regular all-purpose flour if that's what you have. Or you can use a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour
- I like a lot of chocolate chips here - a full cup! - but you could reduce to ¾ cup if you want to lighten them up a bit more.
As you can see, I make mine rather large. I get 9 big snack/cookie bars. You could cut these smaller, into 12 or 16 squares if you want.
I don’t really want. 😂
I’d rather have large, thick beautiful peanut butter chocolate chip snack bars. Everyone else in my family seems to feel the same way. So we keep them big.
Super small little squares but would be cute for a party though, so everyone can have just a nibble.
You can also double the recipe and make this in a 9x13 pan, if you have a larger crew. Or if you just want more of these in your life. I understand and I'm so with you. 😉
You just gotta make these. Soon.
That is all.
P.S. Tag me on Instagram when you make these - I love to see your creations!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted), or oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together butter, applesauce, egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir until sugar is dissolved and everything is well mixed. Add peanut butter and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to wet mixture and stir to combine but don’t overmix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place into prepared 8x8 inch pan and spread the mixture out evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
You can cut these bars into 9 large or 12 or 16 smaller bars, depending on your preference.
The recipe calls for peanut butter but you could substitute almond or cashew butter if you prefer.
I always bake with white whole wheat flour but you can substitute regular all-purpose flour if that's what you have. Or you can use a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour
I like a lot of chocolate chips here - a full cup! - but you could reduce to ¾ cup if you want to lighten these up a bit more.
Serving Size:1 small bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g