This really simple side salad uses things you’ve probably already got in my fridge or freezer (that’s where I store my walnuts to help them last longer). It comes together in no time, which I love on a weeknight.
And on a weekend. I don’t know about you, but I don’t seem to have that much more time — or energy — on the weekends to fuss over food all day. Maybe it’s the two little ones constantly nipping at my heels, pulling on my legs, yanking down my arms, hugging around my neck, crawling into my lap. Gotta say though, it’s good to be so loved!
This salad, it feels like you loved on it, and yet you’ve got it ready in under 15 minutes.
I like it warm with dinner but I also love it cold the next day for lunch. Freshen it up with a little extra lemon juice and olive oil and you’ve got yourself some killer leftovers.
And because it’s so good cold, or room temperature, it also makes a great picnic or potluck dish. Try it out today!
- 1 bag quick-cooking farro
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (or sub pecans or slivered almonds)
- 1/4 parsley, finely chopped
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving (optional)
- Cook farro according to package directions, using vegetable or chicken broth. (I bring my broth to a boil in a large pan, add the farro and let it boil, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes. Then I drain the excess liquid.)
- Place cooked farro in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, serve and enjoy!
You can adjust how much red pepper flakes you use to control the heat. I like a little kick on mine!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 24gSugar: 21gProtein: 17g