Quick and easy salsa chicken with onion, peppers and jalapeños is perfect for wraps or over rice and makes a great weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
I had a rare but much appreciated mother-daughter date with M (my 4 1/2-year-old) just recently.
It’s tough to juggle enough quality time between both kids when I’m the only one around in the afternoons. So now and then my husband and I like to divide and conquer on the weekends. We each take a kid for an hour or two and get some one-on-one time.
M and I headed to a nearby pond with some leftover bread ends to feed the ducks, fish and turtles that are always hungry and like to battle it out over each crumb.
M also loves running around the bridge that goes over part of the pond, running up and down the stairs that go back up to the shopping center and just generally feeling a little more free.
And we sat to chat and have some “us” time, which she was pleased as punch about.
No little brother to interrupt us. (And let’s be honest, no laptop with work demands to interrupt me either.)
We met up with the boys later in the afternoon and had some good family time.
But by the time bath and bedtime was over with the kids, I just wanted a quick and easy late dinner for the hubs and I. This salsa chicken hit the spot. It always does.
Onion, green pepper and jalapeño get sautéed with strips of chicken breasts, plus taco seasoning and salsa to bring a little kick. And you know I put out a bottle of hot sauce to serve it with! 🌶
Notes on easy salsa chicken:
- You can use homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought kind. You could even play around and try a flavored salsa to change it up a bit. 💃
- I usually serve this over my perfect steamed brown rice but if I don’t want to wait for that to finish cooking, whole wheat tortillas are a great option too.
- You could also serve this over a romaine or spinach salad for a low-carb option.
- Or chop up the chicken a bit more after it cooks and make tacos with this. 🌮
And because you know I love adding some toppings so everyone can customize this…
Topping ideas for salsa chicken:
– Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
– Diced avocado or a dollop of guacamole
– Dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream
– Chopped fresh cilantro
– Pickled jalapeños or hot sauce for some extra heat 🌶
My husband loves taking leftovers into the office for lunch. He heats it up, tucks it into a wrap with some lettuce and cheese and dives in. 👍
(So feel free to use this as a meal prep chicken recipe to have on hand for a busy week.)
Hope this salsa chicken makes it into your regular rotation too. I think you’ll love it!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 20g Protein: 53g