This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy salsa chicken with onion, peppers and jalapeños is perfect for wraps or over rice and makes a great weeknight dinner!
I had a rare but much appreciated mother-daughter date with M (my 4 1/2-year-old) just recently.
It’s tough to juggle enough quality time between both kids when I’m the only one around in the afternoons. So now and then my husband and I like to divide and conquer on the weekends – we each take a kid for an hour or two and get some one-on-one time.
M and I headed to a nearby pond with some leftover bread ends to feed the ducks, fish and turtles that are always hungry and like to battle it out over each crumb. M also loves running around the bridge that goes over part of the pond, running up and down the stairs that go back up to the shopping center and just generally feeling a little more free.
And we sat to chat and have some “us” time, which she was pleased as punch about. No little brother to interrupt us. (And let’s be honest, no laptop with work demands to interrupt me either.)
We met up with the boys later in the afternoon and had some good family time. But by the time bath and bedtime was over with the kids, I just wanted a quick and easy late dinner for the hubs and I. This salsa chicken hit the spot. It always does.
Onion, green pepper and jalapeño get sautéed with strips of chicken breasts, plus taco seasoning and salsa to bring a little kick. And you know I put out a bottle of hot sauce to serve it with! 🌶
A few notes on this easy salsa chicken:
- You can use homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought kind. You could even play around and try a flavored salsa to change it up a bit. 💃
- I usually serve this over my perfect steamed brown rice but if I don’t want to wait for that to finish cooking, whole wheat tortillas are a great option too.
- You could also serve this over a romaine or spinach salad for a low-carb option.
- Toppings can include shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, even some diced avocado.
My husband loves taking leftovers into the office for lunch. He heats it up, tucks it into a wrap with some lettuce and cheese and dives in. 👍
Hope this salsa chicken makes it into your regular rotation too.
Skillet salsa chicken
Salsa chicken is perfect in wraps or over rice for an easy, fast weeknight dinner!
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced (seeded and membranes removed for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into long, thin strips
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- For serving: whole wheat tortillas, steamed brown rice or a salad
- Optional toppings: sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, extra salsa
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
- Add jalapeños and garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season chicken breast strips with taco seasoning on both sides and add to pan. Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side, until chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat, top with salsa and stir to combine.
- Serve the salsa chicken in whole wheat wraps, over steamed brown rice or a salad. Just add your favorite toppings!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 272kcal Calories from fat 72|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|