Slow cooker cream cheese chicken is just a few basic ingredients and quick to prep, with a deliciously creamy sauce that coats every piece. Perfect for an easy, hands-off family dinner!
My kids have had a loooong fall break, and we really packed in some fun.
We snuck up to the mountains for a couple of nights of camping in some truly gorgeous weather. Then we had some city fun heading to our local amusement park and going out to dinner with my parents.
I think I might be ready for school to start back tomorrow just to catch a breather!
But let's talk FOOD.
Today, I’m so excited to be sharing this slow cooker cream cheese chicken with you.
It’s a crock pot version of my super popular easy cream cheese chicken, a stovetop recipe that comes together in about 25 minutes.
It’s a family favorite and a regular go-to in my house.
And transforming this into a slow cooker recipe means it can cook away while you’re at work, running errands, hanging with the kids or whatever.
The chicken also comes out tender, super creamy and so delicious.
It’s shredded or chopped and mixed into the sauce and the whole thing is covered in mozzarella cheese to bring it all together.
I mean, what’s not to love about that?
Bonus, this recipe is just 6 basic ingredients and only takes about 15 minutes to prep!
That’s perfect for throwing together on a busy weekday. And then dinner is waiting for you!
OK, let’s get cooking.
Now, I’ve got some notes, tips and substitutions coming up below on how to make crock pot cream cheese chicken. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
(And y’all know I like to help you make a recipe your very own!)
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
- Chicken: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could substitute chicken thighs or use a mix.
- Shred or chop: You can either shred the chicken breasts once they are cooked or chop the chicken breasts. Either way, the chicken gets mixed back in with the sauce and that’s where the magic happens.
- Mushrooms: I love the mushrooms in with this recipe but you could skip them if you don’t have any on hand – or don’t like them. I’ve made this without mushrooms before and it was still delicious.
- Sauté: I prefer to sauté the onions and mushrooms before adding them to the slow cooker. It just gives a different depth of flavor. However, feel free to skip this step if you’re short on time or not feeling very picky.
- Cream cheese: The recipe calls for the ⅓-less fat cream cheese and it’s deliciously creamy. Go for the real deal if you prefer, but I don’t recommend using fat free cream cheese.
Thanks to the slow cooker, we don’t need to add any liquid to this recipe. The chicken will give off some as it cooks and that’s the perfect amount to create the sauce.
(And it means this does not end up at all soupy. 👍)
Also, I really do recommend adding the mozzarella cheese on top at the end of the recipe. It takes just a couple of minutes to melt down and it gets so cheesy and yummy!
Really helps finish the dish off.
Also, just to mention, this recipe is gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly as is. 👍
OK, let’s get ready to serve this up.
This chicken doesn’t really need much else, but a bit of fresh chopped parsley adds a nice fresh flavor to finish it.
And this dish can be paired with so many things.
- We love this best with steamed brown rice (white would of course be fine, too).
- Or serve this chicken alongside or over quinoa, polenta or mashed potatoes.
- Add some steamed broccoli or some warmed peas for a veggie side dish. Both take no time at all to make so you can save them until you’re letting the shredded chicken mix with the sauce and allowing the mozzarella cheese to melt on top.
- This cream cheese chicken would also be great with a mix of sautéed or roasted veggies. Or just a nice green salad.
Finally, let’s talk about what to do with any leftovers. Cause they keep great!
How to store and reheat:
– Place any leftovers, once cooled, in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
– You can reheat the chicken in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s warmed through. (It may take longer if you are reheating a large amount. Stir and add 30 seconds as needed.)
– You can also try reheating this chicken with cream cheese in a skillet on the stove. You may want to add some extra splashes of chicken broth to help loosen it up and create a sauce again so it doesn’t dry out or thicken up too much.
– I’ve also frozen leftovers of this creamy chicken and it freezes really well! Once cooled, place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4-5 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat.
There you have it, another family favorite made even easier thanks to the crock pot.
I hope you give this a try for a delicious, cozy meal your whole family will surely love.
P.S. You can check out all of my slow cooker chicken recipes for more easy dinner inspiration.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, halved (or sliced if very large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. plain cream cheese, regular or ⅓ less fat
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper and add to the insert of the slow cooker.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the slow cooker on top of the chicken. Dollop the cream cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts and either shred or chop the chicken. Stir the cream cheese into the liquid in the slow cooker until combined and saucy. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Top the chicken with the mozzarella cheese, cover the slow cooker and let sit on warm (or even turned off) for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
Chicken: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could substitute chicken thighs or use a mix.
Mushrooms: I love the mushrooms in with this recipe but you could skip them if you don’t have any on hand – or don’t like them. I’ve made this without mushrooms before and it was still delicious.
Sauté: I prefer to sauté the onions and mushrooms before adding them to the slow cooker. It just gives a different depth of flavor. However, feel free to skip this step if you’re short on time or not feeling very picky.
Cream cheese: You can use either regular or the ⅓-less fat cream cheese. I don’t recommend using fat free cream cheese.
Leftovers: Leftover cream cheese chicken, once cooled, will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 4-5 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat (in the microwave or in a skillet).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 457mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 53g