I’m a tad bit obsessed with this salad. I can’t decide which part is my favorite: the wild rice blend, the sweet, juicy mango, the crisp red onion, the crunchy peanuts, the fresh cilantro or the slightly spicy, very fresh lime and srirachi vinaigrette.
I can’t decide so I keep eating it, keep eating it, keep eating it to find the answer. Gonna have to make it again so I can unravel the obsession that is this wild rice and mango salad.
This salad goes great with chicken or pork or fish. And in fact, you could sear a flank steak — or cook up a filet mignon — slice it and put it on top of the wild rice-mango-cilantro-peanut mix and drizzle the lime-srirachi vinaigrette over everything for a seriously delicious main dish. (Yes, I’m just trying to find more ways to eat this. You will, too.)
It’s easy to put together, too. While the wild rice is cooking, chop and prep the other ingredients, shake up the vinaigrette and you are ready to go. Added bonus: You can make this earlier in the day, cover and refrigerate and serve it chilled or at room temperature. Perfect for picnics or potlucks. I’d just recommend waiting until you eat it to add the lime-srirachi vinaigrette.
I hope this becomes your new obsession!
Wild rice salad with mango and cilantro
Wild rice salad with mango, cilantro, peanuts and a lime-srirachi vinaigrette!
For the salad
- 1 heaping cup wild rice, cooked according to package directions (see notes)
- 1/2 mango, diced small
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeded and membranes removed, for less heat)
For the lime-srirachi vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons srirachi sauce (use less for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, chop mango, onion, cilantro, peanuts and jalapeno and set aside.
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small glass jar or plastic container with a lid. Shake it up very well.
- Combine rice with salad ingredients and mix well. Pour vinaigrette over everything and stir to combine.
- Serve and devour!
I use wild rice from a jar, with no seasonings or anything included; just the rice. I brought 1 3/4 cups water to a boil, added a heaping cup of rice, reduced the heat to low, covered the pot and cooked it for 15-18 minutes. Then I turn off the heat, let it stand covered for another 5 minutes and it's ready. If you’re using a box, cook your rice according to the instructions but omit any seasoning packets.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 237kcal Calories from fat 144|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|