Veggie burger scramble is a quick and easy one-pan meal that’s vegan, gluten free and ready in about 20 minutes – great for a light but filling weeknight dinner!
Check out my newest video for this easy veggie burger scramble:
Happy Monday, friends! I hope you had a fun weekend!
We got our first snow here in N.C. on Saturday and while we didn’t have much stick (less than an inch), we made the best of it, as we have to do here in the South when we get a dusting. We did a small bit of sledding in the neighbor’s yard until it turned to mud, had hot chocolate, and went to a neighborhood fire pit party.
We’d also finally gotten a working fireplace this past week (a Christmas present between my husband and I), which was perfectly timed. After the kids went down that night, we had a bourbon drink by the fire and all was right with the world. 😉❤️🥃 (👈 LOVE that new emoji!)
As for the food, I’ve got another meatless Monday dinner for you today! And it’s another one-pan dinner, just like last week’s southwest vegetarian quinoa skillet.
Today we’ve got Veggie Burger Scramble, which I also like to call a veggie un-burger. You get all the great flavors of a delicious black bean burger but without the fussing over forming patties and flipping them. Yes, I’m that lazy. Not even sorry about it either!
I mean, I do have my simplified veggie burger, which requires just 3 basic ingredients, plus spices, and comes out with really big flavor. And they are so good and I try to always have some on hand in the freezer to pull out for a quick lunch for me while I’m working. But this is even easier!
Instead of making a patty mixture, you just sauté everything together in the pan and you’re all set for a delicious dinner!
I also like doing it this way because I can use lettuce wraps or tortillas or pita bread for a lighter or lower-carb version, instead of using the traditional burger bun. Great for a light dinner and the leftovers make a yummy lunch!
(Though as you can see below, you can serve it that way too. The veggie burger scramble mixture holds together pretty well so you can scoop it onto a bun as your burger patty.)
And of course, TOPPINGS! I like a little shredded cheddar cheese and a few dollops of salsa, maybe a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt, and some hot sauce and cilantro. Diced or sliced avocado would also be delicious here. 👌
A few notes on this veggie burger scramble:
- Mashing the beans makes a big difference, so don’t skip that step. It really adds to the texture and gives this mixture a veggie burger feel.
- So does finely chopping the veggies so take the time to do that as well.
- If you want to make this veggie burger scramble a little spicy, you can add a finely chopped jalapeño with the onion and green pepper. You could also add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes along with the other seasonings. And I like to serve it with some hot sauce on the top. We love the New Orleans-based Crystal brand.
- I’ve included an optional step in the recipe below (#5) if you want to give this veggie scramble a slight crust on the outside. If you want it soft, just skip that step.
- As I said, you can serve this in a regular bun but can also make it a bit different by serving it in tortillas or pita bread or making a lettuce wrap with the mixture.
I hope you give this veggie burger scramble a try for your next meatless Monday dinner! Here’s to super duper easy recipes that taste great and fill you up without weighing you down!
Veggie burger scramble
Veggie burger scramble is a quick and easy one-pan dinner that’s vegan, gluten free and ready in about 20 minutes!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color) finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup corn optional; thawed if frozen
- 2 15.5 oz. cans black beans rinsed and drained and lightly mashed (it's OK to have a few beans left whole)
- 1 lime, zest and juice divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- lettuce wraps, tortillas, pita bread or regular burger buns
- shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, salsa or chopped tomatoes, diced or sliced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream or Greek yogurt, hot sauce
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds.
Add corn and lightly mashed black beans and stir to combine and warm through.
Add lime zest, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
To create a crust, turn the heat up to medium high and use a spatula to flatten the scramble mixture onto the bottom of the skillet to create a sear. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until well browned, then flip and cook for another minute on the other side.
Finish with a squeeze of lime juice and serve hot with desired toppings.
- finely chopped
- finely chopped
- optional; thawed if frozen
- rinsed and drained and lightly mashed (it's OK to have a few beans left whole)
If you want to make this veggie burger scramble spicy, you can add a finely chopped jalapeño with the onion and green pepper. You could also add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes along with the other seasonings. And I like to serve it with some hot sauce on the top.
Step #5 is optional if you want to give this scramble a slight crust on the outside. If you want it soft, just skip that step.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 263kcal Calories from fat 31|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 3g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||68%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|