Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Microwave baked potatoes come out perfectly fluffy and tender every time – and only take about 10 minutes!
I’ve always had baked potatoes this way, made in the microwave. It never occurred to me growing up that they aren’t actually “baked.”
I was well past college, well into my adult years before I ever realized that not everyone made potatoes this way.
But everyone should!
These potatoes are perfectly fluffy and tender and steamy and so delicious! And they are ready to go in about 10 minutes. 🙌
Which is perfect because who has time to heat up an oven and let a couple of potatoes roast for an hour?!
Plus, everyone can fix their microwave baked potato just as they please, so they work well for families with different tastes (aka picky eaters).
How to make microwave baked potatoes:
- Scrub the potatoes and poke each potato 5-6 times with a fork – I do it a few times on each side. Place potatoes directly onto the microwave plate.
- The time depends on the number of potatoes and the size of your potatoes. For 2 medium-sized potatoes, start with 10 minutes of microwave time. (For 4 potatoes, start with 15 minutes. For just 1 potato, start with 5 to 6 minutes.)
- When the time is up, get a towel or oven mitt and gently squeeze the sides of the potato. If it gives without resistance and starts to open up, it’s ready. If it still seems a bit firm, microwave for another minute at a time until tender. If your potatoes are different sizes, remove the ones that are tender and continue cooking only the ones that need additional time.
- Carefully cut open your potato, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Some topping ideas include: butter, sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled blue cheese or feta or goat cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, chives or fresh herbs, guacamole, salsa – so many possibilities!
Any way you serve them, I love that potatoes are perfectly portion controlled. I tend to get a bit crazy when piling pasta or rice on my plate, but a potato? The whole thing is mine.
(I love when I don’t have to share!)
And I’m one of those people who eats the entire potato, skin and all. I take after my dad that way. I’m a serious potato lover, and these microwave baked potatoes measure up beautifully. 👌
I hope you give these a try – they make dinner so easy and you end up with perfect, fast microwave “baked” potatoes every time.
P.S. You can sign up for my free e-newsletter and get my free e-cookbook with 10 easy weeknight dinners!
P.P.S. This is my favorite potato scrubber (and it’s less than $5!)
10-minute baked potatoes
These easy microwave "baked" potatoes come out perfectly fluffy and tender every time!
- 2 russet potatoes
- Scrub the potatoes. Poke each potato 5-6 times with a fork - I do it a few times on each side. Place potatoes directly onto the microwave plate.
- Microwave. The time depends on the number of potatoes and the size of your potatoes. See notes.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
For 1 medium-sized potato, start with 5 minutes. When the time is up, get a towel or oven mitt and gently squeeze the sides of the potato. If it gives without resistance and starts to open up, it's ready. If it still seems a bit firm, microwave for another minute at a time until tender.
For 2 medium-sized potatoes, start with 10 minutes microwave time. Do the squeeze test and then add a minute or two as needed, until tender.
For 4 potatoes, start with 15 minutes. Do the squeeze test and add another minute or two as needed.
I love this vegetable scrubber from OXO. Bonus: it's less than $5!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 194kcal Calories from fat 2|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but I receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Want to make it a meal? Try my fast cheesy chicken and broccoli twice-baked potatoes – an all-in-one meal that everyone will love!
How high can YOU stuff them?!