This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Asparagus almondine is a super simple – and fast – side dish that’s sure to impress!
I feel like I’ve been thinking of and buying presents for weeks! M’s 5th birthday is coming up, my niece and nephew have birthdays this month, we’ve got Mother’s Day this weekend and we’ve got two kid birthday parties to go to in the next couple of weeks. Then right after all that is Father’s Day, followed by two more family birthdays.
So if you have any fabulous birthday ideas or sites, please do let me know! I am going to run out here soon…
But the food part of the various parties and celebrations, well, I’ve got that covered 😉
And my favorite new way to jazz up a side dish is this asparagus almondine. It’s a perfect spring dish and works equally as well for busy weeknight dinners as it does for impressing company, or serving a special mom in your life!
Almondine, if you’re wondering, just means a garnish of almonds. It’s also sometimes spelled amandine outside of the U.S. Fish and green beans are common candidates for this type of dish, but I went with asparagus. Mostly because it’s spring and I try to eat ALL the asparagus while it’s in season, to tide me over until next year 😉
Almondine is usually made with butter and herbs, and I added some fresh lemon zest and juice to really brighten it up.
And it does! The long, tender, buttery asparagus is sprinkled with the almandine mixture to give it a well-balanced mixture of flavors and a good dose of crunch from the almond bits. Love a little texture party in my mouth!
This goes great with any meal — my slow cooker apricot chicken, creamy lemon chicken spaghetti, spiced pork chops, even just some grilled meats and roasted potatoes — and it would also be lovely as part of a Mother’s Day brunch or dinner spread! Put a smile on her face cause trust me, this motherhood business is not for the faint of heart!
Whatever celebrations you’ve got coming up, I hope you’ll find a time to try this asparagus almondine.
Asparagus almondine is an easy, fast side dish that’s sure to impress!
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and add almonds. Toast lightly for 2-3 minutes (watch to make sure they don’t burn), stirring occasionally. Remove and finely chop the almonds.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add asparagus, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and saute another minute, until asparagus is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine almonds and remaining ingredients, including remaining salt and pepper, in a small bowl and mix.
- Remove asparagus and top with almond mixture. Serve hot.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 97kcal Calories from fat 68|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|