Baked southwestern egg rolls with chicken, black beans and cheese make a perfect game day or party appetizer - these are always a hit!
I’m back with another Foodie Football Fans recipe collaboration with my fellow food bloggers and today we’re bringing you ideas for the Big Game! Everything from snacks and appetizers to main dishes you can serve your friends and family while you watch the game.
You may remember our previous Foodie Football posts.
I made my easy chicken roll-ups with cream cheese and veggies for our tailgating party and easy pimiento cheese crackers for our team-themed round-up for my Southern based Carolina Panthers team.
But my team didn’t have such a great year this year...
We went all the way last year, and now we're not even in the playoffs, so I'm a little less jazzed.
On the other hand, we lost at the Super Bowl last year and that’s the day my oven completely broke, so maybe low key is good. 😂
Plus, more time to focus on the food! Cause sometimes that’s the best part. Or maybe all the time. 😉
Today I’m sharing these easy baked southwestern egg rolls. I’ve been making these babies on repeat recently because they’re so fun and tasty and a great way to serve a crowd!
I took them to my girls group get together last month and then a couple of weeks ago, took them over to a neighbor’s house when we had a get together there on our snow day. They were devoured both times!
I use store-bought egg roll wrappers for these baked egg rolls and stuff them with an easy mixture of chicken, beans, cheese and all kinds of great Southwestern style seasonings. 👌
The mixture alone is delicious! In fact, I have some friends who are gluten free so I took the extra mixture in a bowl and they scarfed it up - some with gluten free crackers, some just by the spoonful.
So you’ll be glad to end up with some extra!
(If you're looking for a more traditional egg roll recipe, check out these baked vegetable egg rolls.)
Notes on baked southwestern egg rolls:
- You can prep the filling mixture for these ahead of time and just wrap and bake them when you’re ready to serve. I’ve also reheated these in the oven after they’ve cooked, so you could do that too. Put them in a 275 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- You can substitute a Mexican style blend cheese or use all cheddar or all Monterey Jack cheese if you prefer.
- You can substitute fresh, canned or frozen corn (thawed) in place of the Mexican if you want.
Need a vegetarian version? Just omit the chicken.
Also, as I mentioned, you’ll have about 1 cup of leftover chicken mixture. You can serve it on the side with chips or crackers or save it for a light lunch.
I’ve even used it to stuff into taco shells for the kids as dinner. 👍
I hope you give these baked southwestern egg rolls a try for your game day eats - or just any time you need a fun appetizer!
And be sure to check out all the other delicious Foodie Football Fans posts below!
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped (or 5-6 sweet mini peppers)
- 1 (10 oz.) can Mexicorn, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast, leftover grilled or baked chicken or from a store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 package egg roll wrappers (24 wrappers)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt, or guacamole
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine all ingredients, except the egg roll wrappers and olive oil, in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper flat on your counter. Spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of the filling into the middle bottom third of the wrapper, leaving some space around the edges. Fold the sides over and then roll up the egg roll. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. (Watch the video at the top of this post to see this in action.)
- Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers until all are filled. (You’ll have leftover of the mixture).
- Brush the tops of each egg roll with olive oil.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, until the egg rolls are golden brown and edges are crispy.
- Serve warm with salsa, sour cream/Greek yogurt or guacamole.
You can prep the filling mixture for these ahead of time and just wrap and bake them when you’re ready to serve. I’ve also reheated these in the oven after they’ve cooked, so you could do that too. Put them in a 275 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
You can substitute a Mexican style blend cheese or use all cheddar or all Monterey Jack cheese if you prefer.
You can substitute fresh, canned or frozen corn (thawed) in place of the Mexican if you want.
You can omit the chicken for a vegetarian version.
You’ll have about 1 cup of leftover chicken mixture. You can serve it on the side with chips or crackers or save it for lunch.
Serving Size:2 egg rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 454mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g
Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans — and we want to share our love for our teams, the game and the food that brings us all together on game day.
Classic Potato Salad by Celebrating Family
Chili Cheese Burritos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
Fruit Spring Rolls with Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by Body Rebooted
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Dash of Herbs
Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip by The Culinary Compass
Chicks in a Blanket with Apricot Sauce by Mom's Messy Miracles
Jalapeno Pale Ale Chili by Beer Girl Cooks
Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread by The Life Jolie
Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Feast + West
Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese Balls by Honey & Birch
Cookie Dough Cheese Ball by Bread Booze Bacon
Hawaiian Pizza Jalapeno Poppers by Love & Flour
Meatloaf Sliders by Foodtastic Mom
Wonton Taco Cups by A Mind Full Mom
Pancetta and Smoked Mozzarella Arancini by The Secret Ingredient Is
Bean and Cheese Taco Bites by The BakerMama
Monte Cristo Poppers by See Aimee Cook
Chile Beer Sangria by Cake 'n Knife
Low Carb Stuffed Crust Pizza by Sustaining the Powers
Puff Pastry Pizza Bites by The Mexitalian
No Churn Pistachio Baklava Ice Cream by Club Narwhal
Roasted Jalapeno Poppers by Off the Eaten Path
Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Hello Little Home
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Wings by Around My Family Table
Gluten Free Bread Sticks by What A Girl Eats
Cheesy Beef Dip by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by The Crumby Cupcake
Greek Meatballs by Two Places at Once
Baked Taco Empanadas by Simplify, Live, Love
Cheese Sticks by Coffee Love Travel
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatballs by West via Midwest
Puff Pastry Bacon Pizza Twists by 2 Cookin Mamas
Skillet Chicken Queso Dip by foodbyjonister
Spicy Sausage Rolls by Peanut Blossom
Protein Dark Chocolate Truffles by The Creative Bite
Chickpea Pepper Cheese Poppers by Bucket List Tummy
Maple Cranberry Apple Sangria by Order in the Kitchen
Meyer Lemon Shandies by The Speckled Palate
Game Day Fried Deviled Eggs with Chow Chow Relish by For the Love of Food
Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls by Simple and Savory
Pastrami Nachos by A Little Gathering
Shrimp Ceviche Dip by Glisten and Grace
Football Bourbon Balls + Boozy Lemonade by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Apple Cider Mimosas With A Sparkly Sugar Rim by And She Cooks
Pulled Pork Stuffed Corn Dogs by Nik Snacks
Easy Pepperoni Rolls by Me and My Pink Mixer
Real Boneless Chicken Wings by Macheesmo
Califlower Tater Tots by Living Well Kitchen
Cheeseburger Naan Pizza by Shaws Simple Swaps
Red Velvet Ginger Rum Balls by Cafe Terra
Crab Rangoon by Brunch-n-Bites
Sweet n' Spicy BBQ Popcorn by Life's Ambrosia
Buffalo Chicken Rolls by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Crowd Pleasing Steak Fajita Dip by Lizzy is Dizzy
Sriracha Hummus Pinwheel Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
Simlple Meatball Sub Sliders by Loaves & Dishes
Maple-Mustard Bacon Chicken Bites by An Oregon Cottage
Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces by A Simpler Grace
Ricotta Stuffed Sausage Meatballs by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen