Cheesy Chicken Meatballs are so juicy and full of flavor! They are easy to make with just a few basic ingredients, easy to bake in the oven and can be served as an appetizer or for a family dinner!
My birthday is coming up later this week. I'm turning thirty-five. That’s big.
When I was younger, I remember feeling like 35 was a dividing line. You were officially a grown-up. You were into full adulthood. You were halfway to 70 after all.
And now that I’m here? I don’t feel all that grown-up. 😜
But really, I kinda like getting older. I’m more comfortable with me and I care a little less if everyone else is.
But on to the food. These cheesy chicken meatballs, in particular.
So I’m a meatball lover through and through.
I have my basic baked turkey meatballs that I like to have on hand in the freezer at all times for a fast and easy dinner.
I also love trying all kinds of different flavors. Beyond the basics. Beyond Italian. Bring on the craziness in meatball town.
These cheesy chicken meatballs are only a little crazy, admittedly.
I’m trying to slowly lure you in with me. We’ll go all wild meatball mania in due time. 😉
Today, though, it’s all about the cheddar-chicken combo and a super cheesy, savory, flavorful and delicious meatball.
And they are really easy to make using ground chicken from the store. (Which I love having on hand. We also use it to make easy chicken pad Thai. So yummy!)
I prefer these little nuggets dipped in BBQ sauce. My kids would rather have ketchup. Either way, these are a total hit around here.
Oh and if you love ground chicken recipes like we do, check out this cheesy ground chicken skillet.
OK, let's tackle a few recipe notes and some other tips.
If you prefer to go straight to the recipe, just scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is at the bottom of the post, just above the comments section.
- Ground chicken - I use the lean ground chicken (about 90-93% lean) and tend to get the chicken breast. You can use mixed ground chicken (dark and white meat) if you prefer.
- Onion - This needs to be finely chopped or grated. We want it to kinda melt into the meatballs, not live big onion chunks.
- Cheese - I go with sharp white cheddar cheese, but another kind of cheddar would be fine, too. You could also try these with an Italian blend cheese if you'd rather.
- Breadcrumbs - Just plain breadcrumbs work great here. If Italian style is all you have, that's fine, too.
It's easy to make some substitutions depending on what you have on hand.
Also, this is a really versatile recipe in terms of how you can serve it up.
- Use as an appetizer and offer up toothpicks or skewers. Have dipping sauces at the ready. Perfect for game day eats!
- Serve over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta and drizzle with BBQ sauce.
- Load up a hoagie or sub sandwich with these healthy chicken meatballs and some sauce. Feast!
- Or just have them with your regular spaghetti and marinara sauce for a cheesy twist.
Definitely make the entire batch, too. (Or possibly double it!) These meatballs freeze beautifully and you’ll be happy to have them on hand.
- Let the baked meatballs cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Or freeze them! Place the meatballs in a freezer ziptop bag or a freezer-safe container, label it and pop it in the freezer for up to 5-6 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight then reheat.
- Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
Well there you have it. I hope you give these yummy baked chicken meatballs a try and enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground chicken (I use breast meat)
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced (or grated)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For serving: BBQ sauce or ketchup, warmed, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Roll the meatballs into small balls - about the size of a golf ball. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 20-24 minutes, until cooked through. (Exact time will depend on the size of your meatballs.) Serve hot.
Ground chicken: I use the lean ground chicken (about 90-93% lean) and tend to get the chicken breast. You can use mixed ground chicken (dark and white meat) if you prefer.
Onion: This needs to be finely chopped or grated. We want it to kinda melt into the meatballs, not live big onion chunks.
Cheese: I go with sharp white cheddar cheese, but another kind of cheddar would be fine, too. You could also try these with an Italian blend cheese if you'd rather.
Breadcrumbs: Just plain breadcrumbs work great here. If Italian style is all you have, that's fine, too.
Serving ideas: Use as an appetizer with a dip (such as BBQ sauce or ketchup) or make a main meal and serve over spaghetti or even mashed potatoes or polenta. You can also make meatballs subs or pizza.
Storage tips: Leftovers, once cooled, will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze the baked meatballs for up to 5-6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g