This cool, creamy rice salad is great for warm weather when you don’t feel like eating a plate full of steamy food. I add tomatoes and cucumber, drizzle with a dreamy yogurt-based dressing and top with fresh basil.
It screams summer!
Plus, you can make this ahead of time and serve it cold or at room temperature.
It makes for a great potluck and picnic item, and frees you up to enjoy the party. Cause I don’t want to have to fuss over food when I could be sipping a drink and chatting with friends or running around with the kiddos.
Sometimes both… 😉 All about the multi-tasking!
This cool rice salad goes with everything – grilled or roasted chicken, fish, pork or steak. And if you’ve got a spicy dish, this will help cool things down. It’s an ideal, get-along-with-everyone kind of side dish.
So if it’s hot and humid outside, mix up this little rice salad and cool things down.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook brown rice.
- While the rice cooks, chop your veggies and prepare the yogurt dressing.
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together in a small bowl until well combined.
- When the rice is finished, rinse under cold water then lay it out on some paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Pat it dry and put rice in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes and cucumber. Add the yogurt mixture to the bowl and stir everything until it’s well combined.
- Add the chopped basil and stir gently to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
If making ahead, wait and add the basil when you serve it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
** What’s your favorite cool side dish in warm weather?