Stir fry is a great way to throw a bunch of different veggies together and make a satisfying, savory meal.
I love having a smorgasbord of veggies in my stir fry. Broccoli, peppers, carrots, onion, snap peas, the adorable mini corn cobs, mushrooms, water chestnuts – bring ‘em on! I just don’t always want to have to buy a ton of different veggies, only to use a tiny bit of each in a stir fry.
Now, you can certainly go to the salad bar section of your grocery store and do your vegetable shopping there. Or, you can have a bag of frozen mixed stir fry veggies on hand in your freezer at all times, so you can whip up this dinner in less time than it would take to get delivery.
Couldn’t be easier either. While your brown rice is cooking, you cook the chicken for a few minutes, remove it (so the chicken doesn’t get tough), cook the frozen veggies for a few minutes, then mix them both with the sauce in the pan, let it simmer a couple more minutes and voila, you are ready to go. If you have leftover or frozen rice that you can just heat up, that would make this dinner even quicker.
No more take-out needed.
Note: We use the entire one pound bag of veggies for just the two of us. I like a lot of veggies. A lot. If your family is happy to split it up among four people, do that. Or use two bags. Or use one bag and whatever extra veggies you have in the fridge or freezer (toss in a little more broccoli, if that’s your favorite, or some bell peppers). You can customize this. Buy and use your favorite mix.
I bet you can’t get that kind of service from your local Chinese take-out.
Try making your own stir fry and see how very easy it is!
Easiest ever stir fry
A super easy, homemade chicken and veggie stir fry - no more take-out needed!
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 16 oz. bags frozen mixed stir fry vegetables (see notes)
- 2/3 cup stir fry sauce (I use House of Tsang's classic)
- Cook brown rice.
- Cut up the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon canola oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and stir fry for 5-6 minutes, until almost done.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon canola oil.
- Add frozen vegetables and stir fry 3-4 minutes, until heated through and crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to wok or skillet.
- Add stir fry sauce and mix everything well to distribute the sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer until chicken is cooked through and you're ready to serve.
- Serve stir fry and extra sauce over rice.
We use an entire 1-pound bag for two adults cause I like LOTS of veggies. You could certainly use it for 4 people. Or add any extra veggies you have in your fridge or freezer (broccoli, peppers, snow peas, carrots). Or use 2 bags of frozen veggies and load up like me!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 577kcal Calories from fat 94|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|