I cannot say no to a veggie burger of any description. I simply cannot. You put a bunch of vegetables and/or beans into burger form and I am there.
Beef burgers? Don’t do a thing for me. Turkey burgers? Yes, sometimes. But veggie burgers? All in, all the time.
This one has the perfect mix of beans and veggies – I don’t like mine too dense. A veggie burger shouldn’t be heavy, you know? I was planning to use an egg for binder purposes, but you just don’t need it. So these are vegan as well, for those of you who swing that way.
Plus, they are very easy to throw together and freeze beautifully, so go ahead and make a full batch so you have some on hand for another night. Just trying to help you make the most of your time 🙂
And the spiced yogurt sauce. Oh my goodness. Talk about topping things off! But be sure to save a little on the side because it’s oh so delicious with sweet potato fries too. Spread the love, my friends. Spread the love.
And make these stat. You will be tickled you did.
Fiesta black bean burgers with spiced yogurt sauce
A delicious black bean burger, sent over the top with an easy yogurt sauce!
- 1 bell pepper, diced small (you can use any color)
- 1 small onion, diced small (about 1 cup total)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (and deseeded for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained and lightly mashed
- 1/2 15 oz can refried beans
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, ground into flour (you can do this in the food processor)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or cayenne for a bit of heat)
- Whole wheat burger buns or lettuce for wraps - delicious both ways!
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, pickled jalapenos - you name it!
To cook burgers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Spiced yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (homemade, preferably)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Prepare ingredients: cook quinoa, grind oats, chop veggies.
- Saute the pepper, onion and jalapeno in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and saute one minute more.
- Mix veggies and remaining ingredients and season to taste. (No eggs needed so you can actually taste it and then adjust the seasonings.)
- Form the mixture into 8 burger patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and hot.
- For the yogurt sauce: Mix yogurt, taco seasoning and lime juice together.
- Place burgers on buns or on lettuce. Dollop with yogurt sauce (save some for the sweet potato fries!) and top with any another other desired toppings. Dive in face first!
To make sweet potato fries: Scrub and peel your sweet potatoes (about 1/2-1 per person). Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges. Season with olive oil, seasoned salt and pepper. Roast at 425 for 25-30 minutes, turning after 15-20 minutes. Dip in the spiced yogurt sauce and devour!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 217kcal Calories from fat 49|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Served here with my garlicky broccolini.