Ground chicken and mushroom skillet with peas, pimientos and two cheeses is an easy, flavorful all-in-one-pan dinner that’s ready in just 25 minutes!
I love finding new ways to use ground chicken; it's such a convenient and quick protein to pick up at the store!
Recently, I shared this cheesy ground chicken skillet with spinach, tomatoes, white beans and a bit of an Italian flair.
We also love this 20 minute chicken picadillo that is so easy but super flavorful.
Today, we’re making a ground chicken and mushroom skillet that’s hearty and delicious.
It’s got onions and mushrooms, tender ground chicken crumbs, pops of color from the pimientos, a pop of freshness from the peas and two cheeses to bring it all together.
It’s a low-carb and gluten-free meal that’s ready in just 25 minutes.
Plus, it all cooks together in one pan, so it’s easy clean-up too.
If you love these flavors like me, you might also want to check out chicken a la King and this one pot creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas. Both are so creamy and comforting!
OK, back to today’s recipe.
Let’s get cooking.
Now, I’ve got some notes and tips coming up below on how to make ground chicken and mushroom skillet. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
- Ground chicken: I prefer the regular ground chicken, about 90% lean, not ground chicken breast. The regular one has a bit more fat and flavor.
- Mushrooms: Cremini or baby Bella mushrooms work great here and have some extra flavor. Regular white button mushrooms could be substituted as well.
- Pimientos: I love the extra flavor and color these add to the dish, and a 2 oz. jar works great. However, you could also skip them if you’re not a fan.
- Peas: It’s fine for the peas to go in frozen. They warm through quickly in the skillet.
- Spicy: If you want a little more kick, you could add an extra ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes. You could also serve this with hot sauce.
This is super simple to put together, too. You basically just keep layering ingredients in the pan.
You start with sautéing the onion and mushrooms, then add the garlic. Next add the ground chicken and cook it through.
Then comes the seasonings, followed by the peas and pimientos. And lastly, add the cheeses and serve it up. Done and done!
Speaking of serving, this is a fairly low-carb meal as is.
(If peas are considered high-carb for your dietary plan, you can always swap them for spinach.)
But you can bulk this up for serving if you’d like. It doesn’t need it, but can stretch the meal.
- Serve with rice (or quinoa or another grain)
- Pair with orzo or couscous
- Serve with some bakery bread
- Or serve with biscuits or rolls
This is a weeknight winner for sure!
Last thing, let’s talk about the leftovers. Because they keep great!
Leftovers of this ground chicken skillet, once cooled, can be kept in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave (my preference).
I hope you give this a try for a new easy ground chicken recipe that will have the whole family digging in.
(Oh, and if you do, leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram; I love seeing your creations!)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken (I use 90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 oz. jar pimientos, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until tender and the mushrooms have released their moisture. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking it up with a spatula, until it’s cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Drain any excess liquid at this point.
- Season with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Stir in the pimientos and peas until warmed through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan until well mixed. Top with the mozzarella cheese then cover the pan and let melt for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Ground chicken: I prefer the regular ground chicken, about 90% lean, not ground chicken breast. It has a bit more fat and flavor.
Mushrooms: Cremini or baby Bella mushrooms work great here and have some extra flavor. Regular white button mushrooms could be substituted as well.
Pimientos: I love the extra flavor and color these add to the dish, and a 2 oz. jar works great. However, you could also skip them if you’re not a fan.
Peas: It’s fine for the peas to go in frozen. They warm through quickly in the skillet. (If peas are considered high-carb on your dietary plan, you can also substitute fresh spinach and wilt it in.)
Spicy: If you want a little more kick, you could add an extra ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes. You could also serve this with hot sauce.
Serving: This is a hearty low-carb meal all on its own. However, you can also bulk it up by serving it with rice or another grain, orzo or couscous, or bread, rolls or biscuits.
Leftovers: The leftovers keep great! Leftovers, once cooled, can be kept in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet on the stove or in a bowl in the microwave (my preference).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 650mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g