Healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet is a one-pot, 30-minute meal with an addictive creamy sauce (but no heavy cream) that’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
This post is sponsored by the Partnership for Food Safety Education. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I hope you all had a great weekend! It was a long, 3-day weekend for us here in the U.S. for Labor Day, and wow, I was glad for every minute of it!
The kiddos had a great first week of school but we were ready for some family down time, spent mostly at the pool and playing around at the house. (We just got Connect Four and Checkers - both big hits!)
And now that I'm full up (literally - we grilled and ate all the delicious cookout foods over the weekend), I'm reluctantly ready to dive back into a week of work and school and activities and errands.
But I'm also secretly eyeing next weekend and glad it's already Tuesday. But on to the FOOD!
So, I may be a tad bit obsessed with today’s recipe.
As in, I’ve made this healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet at least 6 times in the past month and a half. 😳
I just can’t get enough!
I love that it’s a one-pot recipe, that it’s ready in 30 minutes and that it uses some pretty basic ingredients that I almost always have on hand.
But mostly, it’s the sauce. I’m so in love with the sauce! ❤️
It’s one I keep coming back to, really, in different forms.
First it was my chicken breasts with jalapeño cheese sauce. Can you say YUM?
Then I made a creamy chipotle chicken version that has all the smoky flavor.
And today, I’m going with an Italian flair. We’ve got Italian seasoning on the chicken, sun-dried tomatoes in the sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top and the creamy, delicious sauce to coat every single bite.
But you know me, it’s all lightened up and there’s no heavy cream here at all.
I’m also excited to share this recipe alongside the Partnership for Food Safety Education.
September is Family Meals Month, and I so love how they want to promote family time around the table and the ease of cooking a family meal. 🙌
I mean, that’s what I’m all about!
Cooking does NOT have to be hard or intimidating or scary. It doesn’t have to be stressful or dreaded. If you can get the hang of a few basics and find a few recipes your family will enjoy, then you’re good to go!
And if you are a bit of a clean freak like me in the kitchen, you’ll be happy to know that the Partnership for Food Safety Education also has tons of tips on how to reduce food borne illness and ensure safe cooking every time with the core four.
(Hint: The core four are to clean, separate, cook and chill. Read more here.)
So if you are ready to tackle family dinner time, now’s the time to start!
Notes on this healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet:
- I use low-sodium chicken broth for the liquid here, but you could certainly substitute a dry white wine if you prefer or if you have it on hand.
- If you want to add a veggie to this, you could either do some sliced mushrooms (sauté them with the onions) or add in some green peas at the end to get them warmed through.
- This is creamy enough on its own, but you can add a little sprinkling of Parmesan cheese at the end if you'd like. (It's listed as an optional ingredient in the recipe below.)
- I also love it with some fresh herbs (parsley or even basil) to add a bit of freshness at the end. 👌
- We mostly serve this over steamed brown rice, but you could also serve it with cauliflower rice, pasta or quinoa. You just want something that will soak up some of that yummy sauce!
I hope you give this healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet a try soon, and I hope it becomes a favorite in your house too.
Oh, and if you love these flavors, check out chicken Lombardy, a great dinner for company or a special Sunday supper. And you might like this easy chicken Parm that's ready in just 15 minutes for a super fast weeknight dinner. Or Italian chicken skillet with pesto, a one skillet dinner with big flavor.
Or if you are feeling some comfort food, check out this quick chicken and gravy that's ready in 25 minutes and perfect for serving over mashed potatoes.
And be sure to learn more about food safety by checking out the Story of Your Dinner website.
Wishing you happy cooking and happy family meals - this month and always!
Healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet
Healthy creamy Italian chicken skillet is a one-pot, 30-minute meal with an addictive creamy sauce!
- 4 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth (or use a dry white wine)
- 4 oz. plain reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to the pan and sear for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove chicken breasts from the skillet to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. (They will finish cooking later.)
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining teaspoon olive oil to pan. Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add chicken broth and cream cheese and stir until melted. Return the chicken breasts to the skillet, along with any accumulated juices, and turn to coat them in the sauce. Top the chicken breasts with the mozzarella cheese (about ¼ cup for each one).
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 7-9 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 F on a food thermometer. (Exact cook time will depend on how thick your chicken breasts are.)
- Serve chicken breasts with extra sauce spooned over the top and enjoy!
If you want to add a veggie to this, you could either do some sliced mushrooms (sauté them with the onions) or add in some green peas at the end to get them warmed through.
We serve this over steamed brown rice, but you could also serve it with cauliflower rice, polenta, mashed potatoes, pasta or quinoa. You just want something that will soak up some of that yummy sauce!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g
I would love this over rice or pasta. It looks like a delicious option for pasta night. I even have all the ingredients!
It's great served over any of those Ellen! I hope you try it!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
Love how your video reminds people of food safety rules for washing hands, avoiding cross-contamination, etc. Great job!
Aww, thanks! I hope those food safety reminders and tips are helpful!
Yum! This looks delicious! Very easy too!
Thanks Karly! It really is an easy dish for any night of the week!
Yummy! I love any recipe that adds a little cream cheese! Plus, it's a 30 minute meal the family will devour. Perfecto!
Thanks so much Erin! I hope you try it! 😊
Mmm! I'm loving this creamy, cheesy and delicious one pan meal! Thanks for the food safety reminders - I don't think I could cook chicken without a digital thermometer!
Can't beat a cheesy, creamy one-pan meal! And yes, digital thermometers are the best!
Im going to cook this tonyt for tea, I've only got plain white rice, but in future I will do it with brown rice, been diagnosed with type2 diabetes just last week so I'm new to looking for low fat low sugar recipes..I would have made this dish usually with mushrooms and peppers with double cream and butter so its great to see a healthier version, thank you...
I'm so glad you found this recipe, and I hope you love it Carol! 😊
Wow! I made this the other night for dinner and it was SO easy and SO SO delicious! 100% will be making this again.
I'm so happy to hear you loved it Susie! Thanks so much for sharing! 😊