My mom has made this couscous salad for years and it’s one of my favorite summer sides. It’s light, it’s fresh and it goes with everything! You can pair it with chicken, pork, fish, steaks, burgers, BBQ, pretty much anything!
The Israeli couscous here gives it a really good texture and helps the salad hold up to the lemony-mustard dressing. It’s also my husband’s favorite kind of couscous. Mine, too. I love how big and juice each little couscous ball is. Such a fun food.
This couscous salad is great for a dinner side dish but also travels well for picnics or potlucks or pool nights. I bring some of this and a veggie burger or rotisserie chicken to the pool and we can stay and splash a little longer. It’s also good for entertaining since you can prep everything ahead. See the notes in the recipe below for my tips on preparing this in advance.
I love the brightness of the fresh summer veggies here – cucumber, tomato and basil. Such a good combo. The dressing here is easy peasy, too. Just mix everything in a jar and shake it up. Done! Summer should be simple, right?
Hope this becomes one of your family favorites, too. Enjoy!
For the salad:
- 2 cups cooked Israeli couscous
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or more!)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare couscous according to package directions to yield about 2 cups. Set aside and let cool.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies and basil and place in a medium bowl.
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard and olive oil in a small jar and shake well to combine. Season with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add couscous to bowl with veggies and stir to mix. Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.
- Serve it up!
If making ahead, prepare as above, but wait to chop and add the basil and mix in the dressing until you’re ready to serve to keep everything fresh and bright.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g