This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This bright, fresh, colorful salad is so good in summertime! It’s a great light accompaniment to anything on the grill and it makes a perfect picnic or potluck take-along. Make it ahead so it can sit and marinate and you’re ready to go.
My mom has made this salad for years and it’s always a hit. Friends have asked me, as they are shoveling forkfuls in their mouths, “Why is this so good?” And I kinda mumble, “The sugar.”
“The dressing, it has sugar in it.” Look down and away.
I’m not normally one to add sugar where sugar doesn’t really belong, but it seriously makes this salad shine. The sweetness enhances the veggies but the salad doesn’t taste sweet. Just really good. And hey, it’s homemade, so a little sugar is OK, right?
Plus, look at ALL those veggies!
Do let this marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours though – helps the veggies get good and coated in the dressing. Which is delicious. Because of the sugar…
Enjoy a bowlful… or two!
Marinated veggie salad
This bright, fresh salad is perfect for summer get togethers!
For the salad
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Combine the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing (or shake them up in a small jar or container) until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Plan ahead because this does taste best when the veggies have marinated in the yummy dressing for a couple of hours.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 280kcal Calories from fat 168|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|