A 30-minute Asian chicken dinner with shiitake mushrooms and French green beans, all made in one skillet!
As you read this, I am far, far away. In Aruba. That’s just so wrong, isn’t it? I’m sorry. But not really sorry.
My husband turned 40 this month and we are celebrating with a little adult getaway. A few days kid-free where we can soak up some sunshine, sleep in and get our toes sandy. Maybe snorkel a little too.
But taking a trip right before Christmas is a bit of an ordeal. I had to get things squared away at my job, which always seems to be busy this time of year. I had to get all my shopping and planning and wrapping done early so we’d be in good shape when we get back, approximately 30 hours before Christmas. I also had to get the house prepped for my in-laws, who are coming to keep the kids while we’re gone. It’s been a little crazy, but we don’t get away often so it’s totally worth it.
And, of course, there was still the matter of fixing dinner with all of that swirling in my head. Which is why I pulled out this recipe this past week. Easy and fast and all-in-one but absolutely no sacrifices on taste. Plus, I love changing things up with an Asian chicken style dinner amid all the holiday fare.
And these chicken thighs are so super flavorful with a serious boost from the shiitake mushrooms (hello umami flavor, I’m looking at you) and French green beans (I love how slender and elegant they are!)
It’s a one-pan skillet dinner where everyone at the party loves to mingle and get along and tell funny stories. Or, um, it all just tastes delicious together on a fork. Hmm… Maybe I’ve been to too many cocktail parties this month.
Anyway, this makes for such a flavor-packed dinner that can be ready in as little as 30 minutes. Hells yes to that during these busy holiday weeks - or oh, I don’t know, every other busy week of the year!
So while my toes are in the sand and a drink is in my hand (don't hate!), I am hoping you try this Asian chicken dinner for your family or holiday guests and at least get a few minutes to savor the season.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 oz. French green beans, trimmed
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (or sub 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- For serving: steamed brown or brown basmati rice, 2-3 green onions, sliced thin on the diagonal
- Season chicken thighs with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Place chicken thighs, skin side down, in pan and sear for 4-5 minutes, until browned. Flip the chicken thighs over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm. (They will finish cooking in a bit.)
- Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil, then add the green beans, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken thighs back into the sauce. Cover the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-12 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over steamed brown or basmati brown rice, sprinkled with sliced green onions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1203mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
** Anyone else have a December birthday in their family? Do you get to celebrate separately? **