A super easy, wholesome, shortcut side dish of grains and vegetables to make with dinner on a busy weeknight!
Sure, I do mostly homemade and I plan ahead my family's meals, but I like a shortcut as much as the next person.
It’s almost reassuring, isn’t it, to have something in your fridge or freezer that makes dinner a breeze?
This is one of my favorite healthy go-to shortcuts.
The ingredient list is simple - a bag of those frozen mix from Trader Joe's and whatever other fresh or frozen veggies you want to toss in.
If you're on top of things and have extra rice/barley/quinoa in your freezer like I try to do, then you can make this yourself from scratch. Mix the grains and any veggies in a skillet and it's ready to go.
I've done that too. But I always have a bag of this on hand to be safe.
Plus, this covers my starch/grain and my veggies all in one easy side dish.
Of course, it’s not enough veggies for me on its own, so I like to bulk it up.
Here, I added a half bunch of asparagus and some frozen peas.
You also could use zucchini, peppers, corn or even small bits of broccoli or cauliflower.
It’s a clean out the veggie bin sort-of dinner, as well as a shortcut. Use what you've got on hand.
This recipe works as a vegetarian entree (serving 1-2 probably) but it also makes the perfect easy side dish to any type of grilled, sautéed or roasted protein - fish, chicken, steak, pork, etc.
Or pair it with some rotisserie chicken from the store - mix it right into the pan to heat it through and combine everything.
Serious shortcut heaven. And also still healthy, wholesome, real foods for your family. Score!
And it makes for a dinner you don’t have to think about. Sometimes that just hits the spot. (As do the leftovers for lunch the next day.)
Pull this out the next time you need a quick fix!
- 1 (16 oz.) bag Trader Joe's frozen Multigrain Blend with Vegetables
- 1-2 cups extra veggies (see notes, below)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add any fresh, raw veggies you are using and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Once slightly tender, add the frozen Trader Joe's mix and any other frozen veggies you are using.
- Stir until heated through, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. You can also sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Veggies: Pick a combination of fresh or frozen asparagus, peas, zucchini, peppers, corn, broccoli or cauliflower, cut into small pieces so they cook quickly and blend in well with the packaged mix. Feel free to use whatever extras you have to stretch out this freezer mix and of course, to add more veggies!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g