Spinach artichoke chicken casserole is a super creamy (but lightened up) dinner the whole family will love! And it takes just 10 minutes to prep!
I can’t believe we just had Daylight Savings Time start.
I love that it means spring is here and longer days to enjoy playing in the driveway and going for walks and being outside, but I sure do hate losing that hour.
Especially because the kids somehow still wake up at the same time even though there was an hour skipped in there. And they expect me to wake up as well.
M was tugging at me in bed yesterday. Sleeping in doesn’t translate yet. Nor does self-served breakfast. 😂
Springtime though, always has me ready for fresh, bright flavors, but the chilly mornings and evenings make me want to slide back into the warm, comforting foods of winter for just a bit longer.
Enter this creamy, scrumptious spinach artichoke chicken casserole that has fresh, spring flavors but serious homey notes to satisfy both sides.
And it’s only 10 minutes to prep!
I basically took my aunt’s hot artichoke dip recipe and lightened it up. Cause that’s what I do. And cause it definitely didn’t need all that cheese and mayo. You’ll see what I mean. This is super rich as is!
Then I added in some fresh spinach cause I mean, artichoke and spinach are like peas and carrots, chocolate and peanut butter, me and bourbon. They just fit well together.
And I smothered some chicken breasts with this delightful mixture.
It gets a sprinkling of breadcrumbs for a little texture and off to the oven it goes to get all bubbly and toasty.
I like to serve this spinach artichoke chicken over brown rice. (The only kind we use.)
You could also pair it with some pasta or even some crusty bread – basically anything to help sop up that juicy, creamy veggie mixture because you are going to want every.last.bit.
Get your casserole on for dinner, and enjoy!
- 4 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 packed cups of spinach leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use low-fat)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large casserole dish or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, add the chopped artichoke hearts, spinach, Parmesan cheese, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Spread the spinach-artichoke mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the entire baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. If desired, broil on low for 2-3 minutes (watch it closely!) to get the breadcrumbs to brown up on the top.
- Serve hot over steamed brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
This makes enough spinach artichoke mixture that you could easily cover up to 6 chicken breasts if you need to feed more people.
You can leave off the breadcrumbs or use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you want to make this gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 995mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g