A super easy oven-baked vegetable frittata that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a light dinner!
This veggie frittata has a bit of a family history behind it. But first, here’s a video of how easy it is to make:
My mom started making this dish when I decided, around age 14, that I was going to be a vegetarian.
Problem was, I didn’t actually like many vegetables. And yet this phase went on for a full-year. I honestly can’t remember much of what I ate. Mostly junk, I’m sure. Teenagers… 😉
I would like to say, I would be a top-notch vegetarian these days. When my husband is out of town or out for dinner for work, I usually make a plate full of roasted or sauteed vegetables and am happy, happy, happy.
Alas, not so much in my teen years. My mom scoured the library for books and recipes and tips on how to make food that I might eat. This was before the days of Pinterest and blogs and finding anything you want online. What a wonderful mom I have, right?!
This vegetable frittata was a fast and easy favorite at our table. (Except for maybe my Dad, who was known to complain about having to eat “rabbit food” that year.)
My vegetarian days may be behind me, but I still love to make this frittata. It works great for brunch or lunch, as well as a light dinner.
It’s rich from the eggs and cream cheese, loaded with veggies and is pretty much the easiest frittata around. No crust to make, no eggs to soft-set in the pan, just give a quick saute to the veggies, then mix everything together and pop it in the oven. #mykindofcooking
If you want to prep this ahead, which I have done for a group brunch before, prepare the recipe completely but bake for just 20 minutes. Then cool it and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, pull the frittata out of the fridge as you reheat the oven to 375. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until done, hot and set. Easy, easy!
If you’ve got “rabbit food” types at your house, you can absolutely serve this with bacon or sausages. As for me, I’d go with a super simple spinach salad. More veggies, please!
I hope this becomes a classic with your family, too.
This super easy oven-baked frittata is loaded with veggies!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 8-ounce package of light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed (OK to use ends)
- 1 heaping cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a deep dish pie pan -- or springform pan -- with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Saute chopped veggies for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Alternatively, you can do it my mom’s way: Combine veggies in a bowl, cover and microwave for 5 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add cream cheese and milk and beat until smooth.
- Add sauteed vegetables and remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into greased deep dish pie pan.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until set. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Recipe NotesIf you want to make this ahead, prepare the frittata but bake for just 20 minutes. Then cool and refrigerate it overnight. When ready to eat, take the frittata out of the fridge and let it come closer to room temperature as you heat the oven to 375. Then bake for 15-20 minutes, until done, hot and set.
I love to serve this with a few dashes of hot sauce!