This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This filling, warm cheesy chicken broccoli soup is ready in just 20 minutes!
Soup season is such a cozy time of year. I think big, warm sweaters (or pajamas or sweats, depending on how I’m feeling), layers of blankets, a fire in the fireplace if I’m lucky, and a big bowl of steaming, hearty soup. Hello, comfort!
This cheesy chicken broccoli soup is classic comfort food.
It’s very filling and satisfying without being too heavy. Plus it’s easy to make and comes together so quickly. It’s fast enough for a weeknight meal but also works great for a slower weekend night when you’d rather read a magazine or watch a movie than fuss over dinner. You can have it both ways with this chicken broccoli soup. 👍
A few quick notes on this cheesy chicken broccoli soup:
- You can use leftover roast chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store. No cooked chicken? Just poach some chicken breasts in water on the stove before proceeding with this recipe.
- I lightened this soup up using 2% milk and fat-free half-and-half. Use what suits you!
- The gruyere cheese here adds such great richness and depth of flavor. Highly recommend, but if you’re not a fan, you could try this with cheddar cheese instead.
- Be sure to add some crusty bread or rolls — or just crackers if you prefer — to pair with this soup.
- Extras freeze beautifully!
Love easy soups? Me too 😀 Here’s a few more to try:
- My 20-minute chicken + tortellini soup is as quick + easy as this recipe.
- For really hands off, my slow cooker chicken, black bean and roasted poblano soup is a favorite.
- My hobo stew is a great budget-friendly recipe using ground turkey – or leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
So grab your blanket and your spoon and whip up this quick and cheesy chicken broccoli soup for some serious comfort food enjoyment. All the flavor without all the fuss. My kind of meal. 😉
Mmm, soup season. Such a lovely time of year.
Cheesy chicken and broccoli chowder
This filling, warm cheesy chicken and broccoli chowder is ready in 20 minutes!
- 1 pound broccoli (it's a lot! about 3 large heads), florets trimmed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1 cup half-and-half (I use fat-free)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (leftover or from a rotisserie)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heaping cups grated Gruyere cheese, plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat 2 cups of the chicken broth in a large pot until boiling. Add broccoli florets, cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes, until tender.
- Remove broccoli with a slotted spoon (leaving the broth in the pot) and set aside to cool slightly before chopping the broccoli.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth to the pot along with the milk, half and half, chicken, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and heat over medium for several minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli (watch for splatters!) and stir until everything is combined and heated through.
- Add the cheese and butter, stirring until melted. Ladle the chowder into bowls and serve with extra cheese, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 473kcal Calories from fat 236|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 26g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|